Lapidaria margaretae care tips

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lapidaria margaretae care tips

Post by MatDz »

Aiko wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:33 pm I would not rule out Argyroderma.
Based on my brief research both Argyroderma and Lapidaria likes a tad more water than other mesembs, so I'll just do my best to not kill it and see what it is later this year.

Edit: Also, I see where the confusion might come from!
Mat
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I wouldn't rule out Lapidaria, but an accurate ID is not possible at this point. You then have the problem in that you don't know whether it is a summer- or winter-growing species. With a young plant it probably does not matter much and my reaction would be to give it a bit of water right through the year until you can work out what it is and formulate better treatment.

Incidentally giving Argyroderma more than a small amount of water during its summer dormancy leads to splitting of the epidermis.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Terry S. wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:31 am I wouldn't rule out Lapidaria, but an accurate ID is not possible at this point. You then have the problem in that you don't know whether it is a summer- or winter-growing species. With a young plant it probably does not matter much and my reaction would be to give it a bit of water right through the year until you can work out what it is and formulate better treatment.

Incidentally giving Argyroderma more than a small amount of water during its summer dormancy leads to splitting of the epidermis.
Will definitely do as suggested and wait for some clearer ID on this little fella. Thank you!
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

A couple of questions about (I hope) post-pollination care:

1. One of my L. were in flower about a week earlier than the other (is this normal?, they were next to each other on a shelf), hence as soon as the second flower opened a little I tried to cross-pollinate them both. Pollen was definitely there, as I saw it all over the brush and floating around, and the older flower (left) turned into what's on the photograph below about 24-36 hours after my mating efforts. Does it look like I successfully pollinated it?

2. Assuming my efforts were successful, what should I expect now and how long it should take until I can collect the seeds? How to tell they are ready?

A photograph from today:
Photograph from today
Photograph from today
And a collage from 4 days ago:
Collage from 4 days ago
Collage from 4 days ago
Mat
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Probably not until next year, when the capsule develops, a bit like Lithops. If it does ripen into a woody capsule next year, that’s when you can collect the seeds, by wetting the capsule to make it open up.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
rthr
BCSS Member

Post by rthr »

Your plants are perfectly normal in the timing of their flowering Mat. You've more than likely been successful with your pollination attempts and as the flower dries up you'll be able to see the fleshy fruit swell over the next few weeks/months. As Diane says, seeds won't be ripe until the fruit has completely dried into a woody capsule that opens when wet. Don't expect to harvest these before next summer.

Catherine
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Thank you Diane and Catherine, looks like I have exciting and rather stressful times ahead! Might need to build a safety cage for the fruit or something, I knock off the plants way too often to consider it save for half a year wait time. I will keep it as dry as possible over winter, but as they're indoor, I guess I would need to give it a splash or two to keep the wrinkles in order.

I'll be back in half a year, unless something unexpected happens to my seedlings, but they look good so far,
touch the digital wood!
Mat
Chris123
BCSS Member
Branch: PLYMOUTH

Post by Chris123 »

GreenHairsteak wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:27 pm Hi

I’ve recently acquired three small Lapidaria margaretae.
I’d love any experts to share any care advice, so my plants can thrive and have longevity!
Thank you in advance. 😊

Here’s a pic of one that has some new leaves appearing.
I realise this is an old post but I have just obtained a young Lapidaria and am looking for advice. I was very taken with the gravel in your pot, lots of amethyst pieces and other quartz stones. Can I ask where you got this from? Hope the plants are continuing to thrive. Chris
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Chris123 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:05 am
GreenHairsteak wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:27 pm Hi

I’ve recently acquired three small Lapidaria margaretae.
I’d love any experts to share any care advice, so my plants can thrive and have longevity!
Thank you in advance. 😊

Here’s a pic of one that has some new leaves appearing.
I realise this is an old post but I have just obtained a young Lapidaria and am looking for advice. I was very taken with the gravel in your pot, lots of amethyst pieces and other quartz stones. Can I ask where you got this from? Hope the plants are continuing to thrive. Chris
All seems fine for now. You could repot if that's something you want to do. Or perhaps just did? It will grow those new leaves over the next few months. Normally you might leave it dry well into spring and try to remove an old pair of leaves, but a little one like this you can water as soon as the weather gets hot.
Cheshire, UK