Lithops germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Lithops germination

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I’ve seen it written that older Lithops seed germinates better than fresh but never previously tested this for myself.
I planted 30 packets of Lithops seed from the MSG list just under a week ago. 20 packets were from this year’s new entries, 10 were packets carried over from last year’s list. I make the assumption that means 20 packets of fresher seeds and 10 packets of older seed, but accept this might not be true.
I already have germination in 60% of pots. The interesting thing is that there is germination in 12/20 of the ‘fresher’ seed and 6/10 of the ‘older’ seed. So, exactly the same proportions in ‘fresh’ and ‘older’.
At this point, whilst the hypothesis that older seed germinates more readily is not supported, the evidence does suggest that seed retains good viability for over one year. For the internet pedants out there, I repeat that I do not have proof of age of these seeds, so the experiment is more for fun than for scientific proof.
I also planted a similar number of packets of Lithops seed from the BCSS list. Only one packet failed to germinate.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Lithops germination

Post by edds »

I've had really good germination with my BCSS Lithops seed. All 10 have germinated. Now I just need to keep them alive! :lol:

Forgot to say, totally anecdotally, I had some previous year's MSG seed last year that germinated really well so would back up your observation that germination at least isn't worse with slightly older seed.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Not planted any of my BCSS or MSG seeds yet. Waiting for the equinox. Then I'll plant .... watch them germinate .... nurture them .... watch them grow .... blink .... discover that they have all died .... swear loudly because my daughter has succeeded where I have failed.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Bob 3
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Could you please

Post by Bob 3 »

Hi Cidermanrolls
Could you please tell me why you have not acknowledge my order for plants?I am awaiting your method of payment.
Regards Darren
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member

Re: Could you please

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Bob 3 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:05 pm Hi Cidermanrolls
Could you please tell me why you have not acknowledge my order for plants?I am awaiting your method of payment.
Regards Darren
The last message I saw from you said you couldn’t read the labels on the photos I sent. I’m puzzled.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I've sown a fair number of batches of my own seed. Also many years of MSG seed, which I suspect was mostly harvested in the previous summer, although in some cases obviously carried over for at least one year.

My own seed shows a clear reluctance to germinate until about March following the capsule ripening. If sown before then, small percentages of seed would germinate in groups separated by perhaps 10-14 days. This seems to be a characteristic of the seed itself and not watering patterns or temperature. After about that March time, the majority of the seed would germinate more or less together 10-14 days after sowing, and the seed continues to germinate well for at least a few years. Greater minds than mine have written about the same thing, but have also suggested methods for forcing germination on fresher seed. The main suggestion of using high heat (greenhouse heat rather than oven heat!) hasn't been very successful for me, although in a few cases the seed has germinated promptly after being brought out of the sun and allowed to cool down more at night.

P.S. MSG seed went in today. Fingers crossed for lots of sprouts in a couple of weeks time.
Cheshire, UK
Bob 3
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Messages

Post by Bob 3 »

Hi Cidermanrolls
I have sent you e-mails on20th Feb(Lables)Feb28th(Plant Order)Feb28th payment)
E-mails sent to jon117 taylor.I have also sent you PMs Feb22 asking if you received my emails.Please check emails alsoPMs.Awaiting your reply.
Regards Darren
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Quick update.
As of today, 10/10 of the older seed show germination. 18/20 of the fresher seed show germination.
So, year old seed appears no worse than ‘new’ new seed, maybe better? I’m also very impressed with 28/30 packets producing seedlings (so far).