Next winter considerations

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Next winter considerations

Post by edds »

Related to this, I was looking at a decent temperature data logger so it can record temperatures over time. Hopefully this would allow me to more accurately know exactly what temperature my garden, greenhouse and conservatory are getting too over time and then hopefully I can tweak heating, ventilation, dehumidifier running and the use of some heat sinks. Anyone have any recommendations?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

edds wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:08 pmI was looking at a decent temperature data logger
I have an Elitech RC-5 which seems OK but it tends to get left in the greenhouse and forgotten about for months. I was thinking of upgrading to something that I can monitor (but also that logs) from the house so I too would be interested in suggestions.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Ralph has mentioned previously Raspberry Pi and similar
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Phil_SK wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:23 pm I was thinking of upgrading to something that I can monitor (but also that logs) from the house so I too would be interested in suggestions.
That would be ideal for me too! Have cheap remote monitors at the moment but one that did both would be perfect.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I have one of these little weather stations:

https://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Home-Livin ... %20station

It sends it's data wirelessly to my home wi-fi network via an app on my phone. Also connects to any one of several weather station websites and sends the data there which means I can check the weather at home wherever I am via a link to that website. A lot of people use Weatherundergound but I actually prefer Ecowitt. The online data is shown on graphs if you so desire and I believe everything is kept for a rolling year period. You can export it in various formats if you need to store it. There is an indoor sensor that monitors temp and pressure and that is the bit I keep inside my greenhouse.

I sometimes lose the connection between the main unit and my home network but that is possibly a function of how far away it is from my office where it is set up. But the indoor sensor in the greenhouse has never failed. It does more than you need but the extra bits are interesting!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
N.D.
Registered Guest

Post by N.D. »

I do not have a GH, but I wonder if anyone tried a wood stove inside the GH that heats up a large water tank to retain heat at night.
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

I stopped heating many years ago when the cost of electricity, even back then, became unviable. I grow mainly Sulcorebutia, Rebutia, Lobivia, Oreocereus, Tephrocactus plus a few Gymnocalycium and Lophophora. The past two winters have recorded lows of -11C and -6C respectively. Winter losses are minimal and no different from what I'd expect in a heated greenhouse. Here's a few photos from yesterday
Attachments
IMG_20220429_184057.jpg
IMG_20220429_183959.jpg
IMG_20220429_183938.jpg
IMG_20220429_183916.jpg
IMG_20220428_231522.jpg
IMG_20220428_231710.jpg
IMG_20220428_231647.jpg
IMG_20220428_231622.jpg
IMG_20220428_231604.jpg
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I'm beginning to think it's time for a rethink on what I grow and how I grow it. But I think a 24/7 fan is a necessity to stop pockets of damp cold air in winter and to prevent scorching in summer.

@RossM .... I love the pictures.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

el48tel wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:55 am I'm beginning to think it's time for a rethink on what I grow and how I grow it. But I think a 24/7 fan is a necessity to stop pockets of damp cold air in winter and to prevent scorching in summer.

@RossM .... I love the pictures.
I just leave the louvres open all year and the door open for the summer. Roof windows are a mix of manual (left open during the growing season) and automatic.

Thanks for the compliment re the photos
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

In an unheated greenhouse a fan is another waste of money. To create air flow just open the vents and the doors.

Your plants are looking good Ross. I'm planning on s few weeks in Bolivia in November/December if you fancy it :grin: .
Last edited by Nick_G on Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium