I reckon these Haworthia seeds are viable...

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

I reckon these Haworthia seeds are viable...

Post by MatDz »

Fresh from the pod seeds of a homemade hybrid of mine, from the top of my head Haworthia pygmaea 'Yukihime'
x H. cooperi 'Murasaki' (no rhyme or reason really besides the two flowering at the same time). It goes without saying I sowed a good portion of them immediately. They gonna be ugly, but loved!

20220505_222504.jpg
Mat
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: I reckon these Haworthia seeds are viable...

Post by Tony R »

(tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Definitely (tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Christian »

On a slight tangent - did you find it diffcult to set seed on these, Mat? Two of my H. cooperi var venusta look as though they might coincide in flowering, and I'd very much like to take advantage of that, but I never tried pollinating Haworthias.
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Christian wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:02 am On a slight tangent - did you find it diffcult to set seed on these, Mat? Two of my H. cooperi var venusta look as though they might coincide in flowering, and I'd very much like to take advantage of that, but I never tried pollinating Haworthias.
I did have much better luck with just sticking a paint brush bristle from one flower to another, usually waiting about 2 days from when the flowers started to open, as compared to the "flower dissection" method. It's fairly easy to notice when the yellow pollen is ready, for the stigma to become receptive it's probably another 1-2 days wait, but I'm still adjusting the timings.
Mat
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Christian »

That's really helpful, thanks Mat. I'll try my luck if/when the opportunity arises. Fingers crossed it works!
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:49 pm Fresh from the pod seeds of a homemade hybrid of mine, from the top of my head Haworthia pygmaea 'Yukihime'
x H. cooperi 'Murasaki' (no rhyme or reason really besides the two flowering at the same time). It goes without saying I sowed a good portion of them immediately. They gonna be ugly, but loved!

20220505_222504.jpg
I'm interested to hear how they have progressed.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:32 am I'm interested to hear how they have progressed.
Ha, not exactly as I expected. From the 3 that germinated inside the pod 2 are still alive, but very slow to make any progress. No other seed germinated so far, I will probably need to move the two alive to another pot and try to germinate them again after some break.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:18 am
el48tel wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:32 am I'm interested to hear how they have progressed.
Ha, not exactly as I expected. From the 3 that germinated inside the pod 2 are still alive, but very slow to make any progress. No other seed germinated so far, I will probably need to move the two alive to another pot and try to germinate them again after some break.
Yes
I get seeds started .... but I successfully detach roots from tops ... or fail to achieve successful growth conditions. I have a qualification in it.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

In my experience growing Haworthia seedlings "hard" gives great results. Yes, they are small, but have strong roots and can survive a month's long "Mat's on holiday draught" being 6 months old.
Mat