when plants get hungry

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

when plants get hungry

Post by Tina »

How is this for bad parenting, I can't take all the blame it was new late last year so hadn't been repotted yet
20220428_162555.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
JonNo
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: when plants get hungry

Post by JonNo »

Could poor parenting/ lack of feeding be what the problem is here, too?

This little chap (and indeed his almost identical brother) looks like he's been punched in the midriff by Tyson Fury... They've both looked that way since late last year. I thought when I started watering again in earnest they would "fill out" again, but no. Have I starved them to death?
P5110302.JPG
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

It's green and growing, so not lacking nutrients. I'd say there was no particular cause just how your plant grows.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

JonNo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:14 pm Could poor parenting/ lack of feeding be what the problem is here, too?

This little chap (and indeed his almost identical brother) looks like he's been punched in the midriff by Tyson Fury... They've both looked that way since late last year. I thought when I started watering again in earnest they would "fill out" again, but no. Have I starved them to death?

P5110302.JPG
It's Echinopsis Haku Jo. I don't grow it now, but have in the past. Might be my cultural inadequacies, but I found it often looked a bit 'odd', rarely glowing with health. Flower buds, if they start, usually abort, but can produce distorted flowers. Sometimes offsets lack the rib felt on parts of the plant - they can look rather odd then.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Thank you Phil and Mike, noted with interest.

It is indeed Haku-Jo, and from what you say the "deformity" is nothing to worry about then as such, rather a case of "just the way it is". That is reassuring, much obliged.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Then there was this loph even cutting the pot in pieces still meant a lot of damage to the plant but Lophs are pretty tough luckily.
hungry loph.JPG
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Crikey, it looks like its trying to eat the pot..!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Should the picture be entitled ....
Does my bum look big in this?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Needs a butt lift in that case,
maybe I should have watered it not sure if it would have helped
Tina

Bucks, UK