Wasn't expecting this colour

This forum is for discussion about small Opuntias, open to all.
chris68
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Wasn't expecting this colour

Post by chris68 »

This plant has been budding up for a while and this mornings sunshine triggered this!

It is labelled as Opuntia (Cumulopuntia) pentlandii, however I feel the stems resemble Cumulopuntia rossiana as can also be seen in the background. The pictures I have found showing Cumulopuntia pentlandii have a much spinier habit and predominantly yellow flowers.

Whatever it is what a cracker with plenty more to come. Anyone have an opinion on a correct name?
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Wasn't expecting this colour

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Chris
I can see where you are coming from thinking it could be C.rossiana.
And the label could reflect the fact that rossiana was first named Opuntia pentlandii var rossiana.
But I think both are wrong because of the shape of the segments and the flower colour which in both pentlandii and rossiana are pale to golden yellow.
I think your plant is the form of subterranea known as C.subterranea ssp. pulcherrima a form with smaller segments and the odd spine from the top of the segment and the flower on your plant as a perfect match to that sub species.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

Lovely coloured flower - a cracker indeed. I have a very similar plant labelled Cumulopuntia Rossianus v Fauxianus which I assumed (maybe incorrectly) was the yellow flowered variety of Cumulopuntia Rossiana (Pentlandii v Rossiana).

I shall have to add it to my list of wants.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

jerryb23 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:57 pm I have a very similar plant labelled Cumulopuntia Rossianus v Fauxianus which I assumed (maybe incorrectly) was the yellow flowered variety of Cumulopuntia Rossiana (Pentlandii v Rossiana).
Hi Jerry,

RE. Cumulopuntia rossiana var. fuauxiana (note spelling, extra u)
named after Lex Fuaux, an avid Australian cactophile from the 1950s, was also secretary of the CSS of Australia.
Much smaller heads than the true rossiana, common in collections in the 'south of England'.
One of mine from a few years ago:
Image2.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
jerryb23
BCSS Member

Post by jerryb23 »

Hi Tony

I hadn't noticed the extra 'u'. Here's mine from last July. The segments seem identical but the flowers appear to be darker so I assume mine is not the same clone as that from the south of England - unless they change colour when they get to Norfolk (haha).

I've noticed that my label also bears a collection reference/field number WG081 - does that mean anything to you?
Attachments
20210711_180620.jpg
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

WG081 is a René Geissler Collection Number; sadly René passed two and a half years ago
https://www.forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=169127
but many plants and cuttings that originated from him survive in our collections, particularly those who like small opuntias (René was the first Secretary of the Tephrocactus Study Group).
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
jerryb23
BCSS Member

Post by jerryb23 »

Thanks Tony.
chris68
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by chris68 »

Thanks for the info. Ray - hadn't crossed my mind.

I would have replied sooner, however, I was waiting for my other subterranea subsp. pulcherrima to come into flower and do a side by side comparison as below.
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
Lastly my subterranea subsp. subterranea has also just come into flower with very pale pink blooms.
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Nice photos Chris.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.