Facebook group privacy settings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Facebook group privacy settings

Post by ianstrutt »

Hi all,

Very boring topic I’m afraid. I’ve noticed the privacy settings for the bcss Facebook group have changed recently so that everything anyone posts is public. This means in practice that all my friends can see anything I post, which is something I’m not really comfortable with as none of them have any interest in cacti nor succulents for some unknown reason.

Is there any chance of switching it back to how it was before? Not sure who I can contact directly as not sure who runs the group at the moment.

Cheers
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Facebook group privacy settings

Post by MatDz »

I'm fairly sure it's like that for long time, hence I never reply there. A change would be appreciated.
Mat
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by colser »

I would also vote for private setting. I would be more likely to contribute/post. I very rarely post on public Facebook groups
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - I.T.

Post by Paul D »

I think the main purpose of the facebook group is to attract new people, and so I think that making it a private group would be counterproductive. The facebook dark arts (algorithms) should filter out posts that they magically deem to be not of interest. Personally I would prefer to see everything my friends post, and then be able to decide for myself whether or not I want to give it attention, rather than some censoring software! It is a frequent cause of annoyance when I know about a post I'd like to see and I can't find it because fb has decided I don't need to see it.
:lol:
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I agree with Paul D that a significant aspect of the Facebook group is outreach. Making it private would largely eliminate that.
Everyone works differently with these things and has their level of comfort and I respect that. Unfortunately it may then miss some good content, but being public is necessary for that aspect of its role.
I do most of my posting in other groups than the BCSS one and use BCSS for saying what a good time I had at a branch meeting or sharing pretty pictures to encourage new commers.
Cheers
David Lambie
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

I thought there were two BCSS Facebook groups - one public and one for members only.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Al Laius wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:28 pm I thought there were two BCSS Facebook groups - one public and one for members only.
There seem to be three: public, "Society Discussions" for more organisational affairs, and a "sales table".
Mat