Ebay changes the law

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Ebay changes the law

Post by Tina »

This might be of interest to some cactophiles, ebay has now decided that you can't sell or buy lophs on it.
Loph's aren't illegal in the UK & most of Europe as I pointed out but apparently all cacti collectors want to nibble them.

EBAY SAY'S
Unfortunately, our legal department has decided that the lophophora williamsii plant is commonly known as Peyote and is usually used for drug related purposes.
Therefore, our legal department has made the decision to ban this item
across the site.

WHAT NEXT ??

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Ebay changes the law

Post by iann »

It was inevitable. Whenever people abuse something, as it was obvious they were abusing the sales of Lophophora over eBay, it gets clamped down on :(

Should I send them a list of all the other psychoactive plants? Or not???

More seriously, we as the cactus-growing community should perhaps consider ways we can avoid the abuse, or perception of abuse, spreading more widely which could lead to a complete national ban such as in America and France.

Cheshire, UK
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Ian

I must admit I find this quite worrying, which is why I posted it

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Tina,
I have just looked at a lophophora on ebay it is at ?2.19

Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Yes we should do more to publicise, for a start, the fact that cultivated Lophophoras do not produce the psychoactive chemicals that some people think they do. Also you would have to eat about a dozen mature habitat plants to achieve the desired effect, and this would only come after much vomiting and general nastiness. I doubt if there is more than a handful of people in the world who have actually done it, and I bet they wouldn't do it again. What a stupid reason therefore for ebay or any government to ban them. I see ebay haven't banned certain other plants, live or dried, that are definitely used for such purposes and not grown for their own sake or decorative value.

Phil in Somerset, UK
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Phil, one interesting thing about the ridiculous prices being offered for Lophophora plants is that almost all of them were going to the USA. Auctions marked for posting with the UK only attract much more reasonable prices.

Tina, I can't find any reference to this at eBay. Do you have a link?

Cheshire, UK
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Ian
Try this

Tina

Bucks, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

As an aside that's quite contradictory.

You can't sell pipes made from Ceramic, Wood (except Briar), Stone but you can made from clay (Ceramic), Briar (Wood), meerschaum (Stone) or simular materials. The mind boggles how they apply that one.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Nope, still not finding anything about Lophophora. That page describes the restrictions on listing controlled substances and drug paraphenalia, but doesn't mention Lophophora. Maybe we can still sell them as Lophophora, but not as Peyote ;)

Cheshire, UK
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

hI Ian

Nope my ad said lophophora williamsii & was probably pulled quicker than it took me to type it ( slight exageration but it was quick)

Post Edited (08-10-06 15:34)
Tina

Bucks, UK