While we wait for Diane's mangave to flower...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: While we wait for Diane's mangave to flower...

Post by AnTTun »

I believe some (probably wholesale) nursery imported these four to EU/UK (Pineapple Express, Red Wing, Mission to Mars, Lavender Lady) and distributed them .. well pretty much everywhere. They were even available in Croatia. Let's hope same practice continues, there is a bunch of old and new hybrids awaiting home at Old Continent & Island :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

I visited a chap named Chris Grundy yesterday who is the 'Mangave King' with 48 taxa plus a couple he has raised himself. I was astonished to find I quite like them.

Possibly the most gaudy of all was this variegated monster named 'Espresso' with lines, spots, shading all going on at the same time.
IMG_20220619_151929.jpg
This one appropriately named 'Bad Hair Day'
IMG_20220619_130814.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I was sent a picture of some Mangave in stock in Morrisons - £8 each. One was Blazing Saddles but couldn't make out the other's name.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Paul in Essex wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:17 pm I visited a chap named Chris Grundy yesterday who is the 'Mangave King' with 48 taxa plus a couple he has raised himself. I was astonished to find I quite like them.

Possibly the most gaudy of all was this variegated monster named 'Espresso' with lines, spots, shading all going on at the same time.

IMG_20220619_151929.jpg

This one appropriately named 'Bad Hair Day'

IMG_20220619_130814.jpg
Wow Paul, I've never seen 'Bad Hair Day' before, but I won't be giving that precious GH space. :shock:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Colin Walker wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:01 am Wow Paul, I've never seen 'Bad Hair Day' before, but I won't be giving that precious GH space. :shock:
I can imagine Presidentially planted in a tall slim ceramic pot it would look rather splendid, cascading downwards.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I had 'Expresso' for a few years, came from Plant Delights, it had the deciduous feature that Manfredas have but Agaves don't. Each year over the winter the leaves died off and it looked to have died. Each spring it came back into leaf except for one year - when it didn't.

Stuart
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Paul in Essex wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:30 am
Colin Walker wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:01 am Wow Paul, I've never seen 'Bad Hair Day' before, but I won't be giving that precious GH space. :shock:
I can imagine Presidentially planted in a tall slim ceramic pot it would look rather splendid, cascading downwards.
Paul, even ex Presidents have high standards to maintain, so I can't be seen having 'Bad Hair Days'. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:05 am I had 'Expresso' for a few years, came from Plant Delights, it had the deciduous feature that Manfredas have but Agaves don't. Each year over the winter the leaves died off and it looked to have died. Each spring it came back into leaf except for one year - when it didn't.

Stuart
Last winter I had a couple of manfredas that just didn't return from dormancy after the winter. Sad, but these things happen. So, true manfredas, of which there are around 40 spp., aren't commonly cultivated for obvious reasons. This I think is partly why John didn't include these in his agave picture book.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

My photo of 'Expresso' made it into John's Agave book along with quite a few photos of the 'pretty ones' at the back, maybe I should have included a photo of the pot in winter as a contrast.

Stuart
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:20 am My photo of 'Expresso' made it into John's Agave book along with quite a few photos of the 'pretty ones' at the back, maybe I should have included a photo of the pot in winter as a contrast.

Stuart
That's great Stuart, but my point was that John deliberately omitted all the true manfredas from his book, as opposed to 'Espresso' which is a mangave. I see he also used your pic of 'Bloodspot'. So in total there are two mangaves but NO manfredas.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS