caudiciform questions

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

caudiciform questions

Post by Tina »

Hi all
Has anyone grown many caudiform plants from seed ?, I have some fockea crispa which are growing very well but after having a google you see some very odd shaped plants so has anyone got any methods to try to increase the possibilty of distorted root growth ( you sometimes see split roots etc).

One idea I have is to put them in a planter with lots of objects in the soil so adding broken crocks, stones & maybe even small lumps of polystyrene to keep the weight down.

They have also grown better in dishs than normal pots so does anyone have anymore advice ?.

Also has anyone got good pictures of F.crispa/capensis & F.edulis?, I do have seedlings of both but there doesn't seem to be much difference, maybe larger & glossier leaves for the crispa.

Attachments
4R+5RXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACgEPAAIAAAAJAAAAhgEQAAIAAAAPAAAAjwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAngEbAAUAAAABAAAApgEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAArgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAwoKYAAIAAAAFAAAA1odpAAQAAAABAAAA3AAAAvxGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4IFM3MDAwIAAAAAB
4R+5RXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACgEPAAIAAAAJAAAAhgEQAAIAAAAPAAAAjwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAngEbAAUAAAABAAAApgEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAArgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAwoKYAAIAAAAFAAAA1odpAAQAAAABAAAA3AAAAvxGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4IFM3MDAwIAAAAAB (93.47 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.

Re: caudiciform questions

Post by Guest »

Tina,
I have grown Mestokelema bulbosum(tuberosum), Tycoledon paniculata and recently Brachycriton populus.
I also have a few Cyphostemma cuttings, and as always, bury the root/caudex in a deep pot for 4-5 years then admire your handiwork.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Grow it in big rocks, that will distort the roots.

Have you got any Delosperma napiforme, Tina? I've got some growing from seed, just setting buds at 6 weeks old.

Cheshire, UK
Sheffieldsurfer

Post by Sheffieldsurfer »

Hi, if people on here are growing them from seed, where can you buy seeds or adult plants?
I`ve never seen these plants for sale anywhere, and i`d love to give them a try, particularly Brachystelma.
Also has anyone visited the nursery near Barnsley, Royston?
Does anyone know if it`s good for Stapeliads or other rarities?
Thanks.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Lewis

The fockea crispa were from new zealand but I have gotten f.edulis from Doug & Vivi rowland, germination was good but this was probably 3 yrs ago now.

This year they had even more choice with lots of madagaskan plant seeds some caudiciform .
I now have adansonia, uncarina, f.natalensis- this has nice purple underside to the leaves,delonix ( tree), jatropha's & others.

The only thing is their seed list chnages every year so their is no guarantee of what they will have next year.

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Ian

No , I don't have any Delosperma napiforme, do some need rehoming ??.

What would you like for swap ?.

Tina

Bucks, UK
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Dennis

Would you be interested in a swap ??

Tina

Bucks, UK
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Hi Tina,

I mentioned it because I'm bound to have too many when I come to repot! Or I could send you a seed capsule now and you'd only be six weeks behind me :)

Cheshire, UK
Sheffieldsurfer

Post by Sheffieldsurfer »

Thanks Tina for your help.

Post by Guest »

Tina,
The Brachtchritons' are only 3 months old, but I can certainly spare a Mestoklemma (at the moment they all have seed capsules so each plant is probally carying up to a 1000 seeds each) and a Chyphostemma cutting.
(Liverpool branch did'nt have a show this year so I have alot of spare plants).
regards
Dennis