Local show advice

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Charlongo79
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Local show advice

Post by Charlongo79 »

So I’d like to enter a succulent into my local horticultural show but there are no guidelines on showing. I’m thinking if putting either a gasteria or Haworthia in. What should ai be looking for/doing when ai enter it?
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MAIDSTONE & MEDWAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Re: Local show advice

Post by Chris L »

Charlongo79 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:31 am So I’d like to enter a succulent into my local horticultural show but there are no guidelines on showing. I’m thinking if putting either a gasteria or Haworthia in. What should ai be looking for/doing when ai enter it?
Nice plant. Clear label. Clean Pot with top dressing .... and no bugs or cobwebs. :grin:

I am sure others will go more in depth, but that's the basics.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

This might sound obvious, but read the schedule thoroughly and keep precisely to what it says, otherwise your plant will not be judged.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Sound advice has already been provided, but here's some more detail:
  • As already said, read the schedule. So, make sure your Haworthia/Gasteria is in the right class.
  • Is just one plant required or more than one?
  • Pot size: is there a restriction on this? Both as an exhibitor and as a judge, this is always a tricky issue, especially for myself since I have so many non-standard-sized pots. I suspect that in a local show this isn't a big issue.
  • Condition is paramount, so choose your best specimen(s). So a well-grown plant is essential for success.
  • Maturity is also a key factor when comparing entries. So, should the plant be old enough to flower and if so, is there evidence of flowering? Note that having open flowers on the day of a show is a hit and miss affair, so no extra points would accrue for a plant with open flowers. Dead flower remains are also acceptable showing evidence of flowering, but not so that the plant looks really tatty and untidy with loads of unsightly dead flowers. Some plants have flower remains that aren't easily removed anyway.
  • Already mentioned are presentational aspects: clean plant free from pests and diseases, cobwebs, clean pot, top dressing (but this isn't a requirement), clear label.
  • In a BCSS judged show, 'Difficulty in cultivation' is also a key factor. So a tricky plant to grow should do better than an easy one, given other factors being equal.
In case you're unaware, the BCSS pubishes a Handbook of Shows (11th ed., 2021). This includes loads of very useful, practical advice. I've merely skimmed the surface here. Please feel free to ask for further advice or clarification if needed.
Last edited by Colin Walker on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by el48tel »

A trip to see how shows work and what wins might not be a bad idea. Talk to people who win.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Assuming it's not a BCSS Judged show then anything is possible, your Gasteria could easily win best cactus. The prize usually goes to the largest plant but a clean plant nicely presented in a clean pot with some top-dressing and a label would help.

Stuart
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Stuart wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:44 am Assuming it's not a BCSS Judged show then anything is possible, your Gasteria could easily win best cactus. The prize usually goes to the largest plant but a clean plant nicely presented in a clean pot with some top-dressing and a label would help.

Stuart
Don't underestimate local showing expertise Stuart. Up here north of the border one flower show specifically states that judging will be according to BCSS rules.

And surely if there are only one or two classes they'd specify something like: One cactus or (other) succulent.

The Scottish Rock Garden Club's show 6 weeks ago had two classes specifically for Crassulaceae. I had Sedum envy when I saw the size of an entry with Sedum furfuraceum in a 40 cm diam. pan. :shock: :grin: My own specimen is only 10cm across but now I've put it on steroids. :shock:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Colin Walker wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:10 pm Don't underestimate local showing expertise Stuart. Up here north of the border one flower show specifically states that judging will be according to BCSS rules.

And surely if there are only one or two classes they'd specify something like: One cactus or (other) succulent.
Our local village horticultural show often get judged by the infamous John Hughes - he gets it right, but I usually have to advise the exhibitors as to what is a cactus and what is an other succulent beforehand! And my plants don't always win! :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Many years ago, my local Hort. Soc. had regular shows, with classes for cacti and succulents. My late husband used to judge them (qualified judge) so they were judged much as the BCSS shows were. After he died, they just relied on their own judges who had very little knowledge about C & S, and there were some very odd results!

It really depends on your local society, how many other entries there are, and who is going to judge it
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Is John Hughes the only person who has judges both Chelsea and BCSS shows as a qualified judge? On the subject of judging do any of the other plant societies have anything resembling the BCSS Judges Course or are we unique in how we select judges for BCSS events.

Stuart