Local show advice

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: Local show advice

Post by Patrick »

[/quote]

Don't underestimate local showing expertise Stuart. Up here north of the border one flower show specifically states that judging will be according to BCSS rules.

And surely if there are only one or two classes they'd specify something like: One cactus or (other) succulent.

The Scottish Rock Garden Club's show 6 weeks ago had two classes specifically for Crassulaceae. I had Sedum envy when I saw the size of an entry with Sedum furfuraceum in a 40 cm diam. pan. :shock: :grin: My own specimen is only 10cm across but now I've put it on steroids. :shock:
[/quote]

In the Taunton show one year the winning cactus was dead! the judges had absolutely no clue whatsoever luckily the local BCSS chairman did and put them right
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

There are a few shows in Sheffield and surrounding area that have one or two C & S classes, and the results usually suggest that the judge has no real idea about C & S. Size is everything. An Ariocarpus or Conophytum would have no chance. There's always a chance, however, that your show could have a judge with decent knowledge of C & S - possible, but not very likely.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Colin Walker
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

MikeT wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:47 pm There are a few shows in Sheffield and surrounding area that have one or two C & S classes, and the results usually suggest that the judge has no real idea about C & S. Size is everything. An Ariocarpus or Conophytum would have no chance. There's always a chance, however, that your show could have a judge with decent knowledge of C & S - possible, but not very likely.
Size matters Mike. :grin: As I said earlier, I had sedum envy at a plant 10x the size of mine. :shock:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University