Seed planting season has started. Here's the way I do it.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Seed planting season has started. Here's the way I do it.

Post by TomInTucson »

My seed sowing is typically around 180 to 300 pots annually. Having extra seedlings is rarely an issue. In my situation I lose hundreds of seedlings yearly to herbivores (rodents and birds), insects (mealy bugs), and weather (sun and frost). The sun can produce intense radiation here in the Arizona desert. Frost typically only effects the most tender tropical species. The rodents are clearly clever. They defy the snakes and owls in my neighborhood. They laugh at (I think) the four humane traps I use., and have a preference for the cacti which are the most expensive or are the most rare and/or endangered. Sorry I can't supply any images (rodents or seedlings).
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

A dilemma for the newbie seed grower.
Plant seeds as soon as the pod opened?
Or
Put in a drawer to ripen and hope you get the timing right?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Paul D wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:42 pm I overdid it a bit with the seeds last year. On the left, last years sowings potted up at last, finished this week, and on the right, spare plants from the last 3 years sowing.

seedlings 2022.jpg
I thought I was bad for this Paul but you've made me feel much better about my excesses! Thank you! :mrgreen:
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

el48tel wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:00 am A dilemma for the newbie seed grower.
Or
Definitely depends on the seed Terry. So far all my C&S seed has been saved at least until the following December/January before sowing which seems to have worked ok.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

el48tel wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:00 am A dilemma for the newbie seed grower.
Or
I usually leave seed collection until well into the autumn and early winter (on small Andes cacti) when the pods are completely dry and come away from the plants easily. I then packet the seed and store in a drawer in the greenhouse until February, then start sowing. It usually takes me a couple of months doing a little bit at a time. I've found that if I leave seed until the following year, for those species, the germination isn't as good. But if you have 200 seeds and only want 3 plants it might not be a problem 😆
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk