Cylindrophyllum? I think not.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JCMad
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cylindrophyllum? I think not.

Post by JCMad »

Hi all,

Perhaps you can help me with identifying this plant grown from seed from Silverhill Seeds. From Silverhill I will get an oddball seedling now and again, and I’m not complaining because I can sometimes get an interesting new plant!

This seedling came from a packet labeled as Cylindrophyllum comptonii, but it is clearly not comptonii. The leaves are quite “keeled” and “rugose” and are more of a darker blue/green than the comptonii from this seed lot. Also, it is quite floriferous and produces deep yellow flowers that only open at night. My “true” comptonii from the same seed packet produce buttermilk colored flowers that open in full sun. This seedling is also quite resistant to thrips, which the true comptonii is not.

My feeble guess is that this is Cheiridopsis umdausensis, but I haven’t grown that species.

I should say that I take any extra seedlings and expose them to our elements here to see how hardy they are. Cylindrophyllum comptonii and tugwelliae both did well with a 3 hour dip down to 24F during this winter. Temperatures that low only happen every decade, if that, here.

Any help ID’ing this?

Thanks!

Also, I hope the pictures attached are correctly orientated!
Attachments
E5E8F6A7-92C5-4691-A079-28B4441B4BA5.jpeg
C4306D95-E1F2-482E-ABBF-4AE074C7B477.jpeg
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Cylindrophyllum? I think not.

Post by topsy »

Hi,

I wondered whether you had received any posts on this mesemb's identification and thought I would have another shot at trying.

It is not Cheiridopsis. But it could be Cephalophyllum, but I am more inclined towards Machairophyllum although I am not totally sure.

Perhaps I have given you one or two directions to explore.

Regards, Suzanne Mace
Mesemb Study Group
rthr
BCSS Member

Post by rthr »

Hi. Your mystery plant is a Hereroa. Not sure which species as there are a few that look like this. Possibly H.calycina or H.puttkameriana?
Catherine
JCMad
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JCMad »

Hi Suzanne and Catherine, and thanks so much for your expertise! I think I have to agree with you, Catherine, that it is a Hereroa. I’ll see if I can nail down species now.

From the same order, I have a seedling from a packet of Stomatium pyrodorum that looks like a different (heavily toothed) species, or maybe a Faucaria.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help. Happy growing!

J