Repot or not

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
fatich
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Repot or not

Post by fatich »

These Lasiacantha seedlings are around 13-14 months, should i repot them or let them grow in these pots for some time too?
Attachments
IMG20220705193758.jpg
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Repot or not

Post by Herts Mike »

Personally, I would but I’m sure there are others who say leave them for now.
Your choice!
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Cactus seedlings seem to like growing in small clusters, I'd pot them into small clusters of three or four trying to keep them in clusters without too much root disturbance as they're split up.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

I was advised by an old seed hand .... wait until they are well overcrowded. Seedlings lose moisture from themselves and the compost around them and are less tolerant than mature plants, and the roots are more fragile and less tolerant of disturbance.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

I'd repot, or at least thin them out. In my experience, when they are this size and a bit crowded they will grow faster once given more root space.
Benjy
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Benjy »

Stuart wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:27 am Cactus seedlings seem to like growing in small clusters, I'd pot them into small clusters of three or four trying to keep them in clusters without too much root disturbance as they're split up.

Stuart
I also do exactly this, and its worked well for me.