ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

ID please

Post by Eric Williams »

Tina gave me a cutting last year with no id but with text “put in pot”. This appeared this year with the tiniest flower I have ever seen. Could any one please give me an id and any info on this plant. Thanks
F16607F4-B02D-494C-A3F9-5A2229D0CD72.jpeg
Colin Walker
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ID please

Post by Colin Walker »

Because of the source, since Tina had this from me, this is most likely Stapelia engleriana but we'll need to see a fully developed flower for a certain ID. This sp. is unusual with its small, downward-pointing flowers with strongly recurved lobes.

Eric your "tiniest" flower is simply an unopened bud.

It's also somewhat of an "iceberg" like plant because it branches freely underground.

I attach a photo of my plant that was a prize winning entry in the 2012 National Show. (Geez, was that really a decade ago? :shock: )
For scale this plant is in a 35 cm diam. pan. I know it's plastic but he ho. :shock: The judges were obviously not bothered by that. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Given space this plant can grow quite fast giving stems 30-40 cm long in time.

Anything else you want to know Eric?

Figure 1 Stapelia engleriana 002.jpg
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks, Colin for your informative reply.Next move I think is to repot it and name it. Is the plants reddish hue due to more sunlight ? Cheers
Colin Walker
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Eric Williams wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:17 pm Thanks, Colin for your informative reply.Next move I think is to repot it and name it. Is the plants reddish hue due to more sunlight ? Cheers
Eric, it seems to have a natural reddish-purplish hue in my experience.

A repot would be good to give it more space since stems tend to hang out of pots. And it certainly deserves a label with the correct ID which I'm now even more certain of. Even your small plant ought to produce a flower or two but as yet it's a bit early in the year I'd say. No buds on my plant as yet.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »