My collection in Finland

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pia
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My collection in Finland

Post by Pia »

Opuntia fragilis 'Füssen' opened its first flower today. They are still flowering in a rockery in Finland after many years. They grow totally unprotected and without any care. Last winter we had a lot of snow (about 1 meter), and temperature was between -10 and -20 Celsius for many weeks.

Fussen35x.jpg
Fussen36x.jpg
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

(tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

That's fantastic Pia. Do you do anything to help them flower? I have a bunch of fragilis types and most are around the size of the one you have posted today but in pots. They haven't flowered yet so after any hints and tips please!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

My opuntias are growing outdoors in a rockery totally on their own. I don't protect them from weather in any way (rain or frost). Once in the summer, I give fertilizer added to the water, but otherwise I don't water them. From my previous writings, you can read more about how I have planted them (soil, the structure of the rockery etc.). You can also read my article in Cactus World December 2018 (Vol. 36, No. 4). When I had four small plants, there were many tens of flowers open at the same time and about 80 buds (see my previous photos).

Now in the evening sun, this flower is slowly closing.

Fussen37x.jpg
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks Pia. I've just read your article - thanks for the reference.

Hopefully I can get my plants to flower in their bowls as I haven't got a suitable rockery at present for them - maybe in the future!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

I wish you good luck, edds! (tu)

In spite of a little rain, the flower opened even more openly on the second day. You can see raindrops on the petals. I recall that the flowers do not open again on the third day.

Fussen38x.jpg
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

One small Opuntia fragilis 'Füssen' produced 23 buds this year. As I have written in detail before, it grows outdoors in a rockery without any protection in Finland. Last winter was very cold here (between -10 and -20 degrees Celsius for many weeks), but there was a lot of snow (about 1 meter) to protect the plant. Here are some photos taken yesterday. Please notice an insect in the second picture on the left :razz:. In the previous posts, you can see four Opuntias with about a hundred buds and a lot of flowers at the same time.

Fussen41x.jpg
Fussen41x.jpg (279.61 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Fussen40x.jpg
Fussen40x.jpg (264.54 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Fussen39x.jpg
Fussen39x.jpg (217.68 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Mark07
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Mark07 »

Very Nice! I always look forward to your update on this thread. Thank you.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Looking lovely! It's so interesting to hear and see your results with such different growing conditions from the UK, thanks!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

Thanks for your support! :)