A couple of turbinicarpus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

A couple of turbinicarpus

Post by ianstrutt »

Hi all,

Haven't seen many of these on the forum so thought I'd post these... a couple of flowers from my collection this week.

Turbinicarpus dickinsoniae:
thumbnail_IMG_5998.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5999.jpg
Turbinicarpus flaviflorus:
thumbnail_IMG_4982.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4983.jpg
A couple of my others have shrivelled away to nothing over the last month, which is a shame. Not sure what happened there...
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: A couple of turbinicarpus

Post by el48tel »

The handwriting on the labels looks familiar
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest

Post by ianstrutt »

Neither are my handwriting - from memory one came from Caistor Cacti and one came from Williams Cactus over the last 2 or 3 years.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

ianstrutt wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:16 pm Neither are my handwriting - from memory one came from Caistor Cacti and one came from Williams Cactus over the last 2 or 3 years.
I guessed correctly .... Williams.

I have plants labelled with an identical hand
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

It doesn't look like Dickisoniae, that species has longer, thin curled upright spines and is quite distinctive, and named for a lady which doesn't happen too much in the cactus world. The one from Caistor Cacti will have the correct name though.

Stuart
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Since the 1st one has a tag which says Aramberri it might be Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus ssp. gracilis. Turbinicarpus dickisoniae also comes from Aramberri, Nuevo Leon.

#2 looks properly named.
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Stuart wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:55 pm It doesn't look like Dickisoniae, that species has longer, thin curled upright spines and is quite distinctive, and named for a lady which doesn't happen too much in the cactus world. The one from Caistor Cacti will have the correct name though.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart,

The 'dickisoniae' looks to me like a hybrid, probably with T.dickisoniae as the mother.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest

Post by ianstrutt »

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the input.