Thinking of getting a greenhouse or cold frame. Advice needed please

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Thinking of getting a greenhouse or cold frame. Advice needed please

Post by Cactusgirl »

I have a 6mx2m greenhouse and the cost to heat the whole area would be astronomical. So last winter I squeezed all my plants (except Melocactus, anything blue in colour and anything really delicate which I took indoors) onto 3 tier staging at the far end. I then bubble wrapped this particular area and installed a bubble wrap curtain between this staging and the remainder of the now empty greenhouse. I placed a 150W tubular heater which is 1.5m in length on the bottom tier of the staging and left it for the winter. On really sunny days I opened the doors pinned the curtain back and let in fresh air. I also have solar fans going all year round. I lost two small plants but in the grand scheme of things I didn't think that was too drastic. I also have an Inkbird thermostat which I set a temperature of 4°. What I would really like to do is to just have cold hardy plants ( except for the Melos) and not have to heat at all.
GaborSim
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by GaborSim »

Hi cactusgirl, in case you are still looking for these, just found this on the net:
https://www.dancovershop.com/uk/product ... ilver.aspx
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi Gaborsim that looks interesting. I wasn't looking for a cold frame myself but it's given me an idea now. I'm looking at siting a cold frame within my greenhouse for the winter only. If I can get one big enough to house my collection then I can just bring in the delicate plants in house and everything else can go in the frame within the greenhouse. Or am I bonkers!?