Baja California travel advice?

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Frank103
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Baja California travel advice?

Post by Frank103 »

My job will take me to San Diego in November, and having 'done' the nearby Anza-Borrego desert already I was wondering whether a trip across the border into Baja California is a viable option. Would it be too dangerous to drive around on my own? would it be more sensible to fly to the south and hire a car there than drive into northern Baja from San Diego? Any thoughts or advice much appreciated!
PS I did a road trip on my own around Queretaro and Hidalgo 5 years ago, a great experience!
Mainly cacti, with a preference for Mexican ones, but I'm flexible!

Chairman of BCSS South Wales branch
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Baja California travel advice?

Post by Tony R »

Personally, I would not risk it on my own these days.
But there are others on the Forum with greater experience.
Do take care!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Frank103

Post by Frank103 »

Tony R wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:22 pm Personally, I would not risk it on my own these days.
But there are others on the Forum with greater experience.
Do take care!
Thanks Tony!

Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I have been to Mexico 8 times, though never to the extreme northwest. I like to think that I have a handle on what travelling in Mexico is like.

I would personally never EVER travel somewhere like Mexico on my own. Ever. Even for the smallest of reasons like if you twisted your ankle whilst off piste and couldn't drive. But there are plenty of big reasons, too.

The border crossing from San Diego leads to the city of Tijuana which is officially the most dangerous city in the entire world by whatever statistic you'd like to choose.

I think you could mitigate your risk by flying south, as you say. From what I have read and been told Baja is relatively safe as far as the big reasons are concerned but there are always the small reasons.

Mexico is the most wonderful country to explore when things go right, which is most of the time. But it can go very wrong and a lone gringo in a shiny hire car has got to be tempting to the wrong type of people.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I'm with Paul on this one, Mexico is a great place but can be dangerous away from popular tourist spots. Most hire car companies won't let you take their car over the border in case it doesn't come back. Non-Mexicans in hire cars away from tourist spots stick out a mile. It's quite sweet when the local children appear and try to sell you a cristate Ariocarpus but just as the local children can spot cactus tourists, so can others. I don't even feel safe any more on the US side of the border at places like the Organ Pipe Park in Arizona. Stick to the nicer parts of the Anza Borrego where there's plenty to see.

Stuart
Frank103

Post by Frank103 »

Paul in Essex wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:00 pm I have been to Mexico 8 times, though never to the extreme northwest. I like to think that I have a handle on what travelling in Mexico is like.

I would personally never EVER travel somewhere like Mexico on my own. Ever. Even for the smallest of reasons like if you twisted your ankle whilst off piste and couldn't drive. But there are plenty of big reasons, too.

The border crossing from San Diego leads to the city of Tijuana which is officially the most dangerous city in the entire world by whatever statistic you'd like to choose.

I think you could mitigate your risk by flying south, as you say. From what I have read and been told Baja is relatively safe as far as the big reasons are concerned but there are always the small reasons.

Mexico is the most wonderful country to explore when things go right, which is most of the time. But it can go very wrong and a lone gringo in a shiny hire car has got to be tempting to the wrong type of people.
Sound advice Paul, thanks a lot!

Frank103

Post by Frank103 »

Stuart wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:50 pm I'm with Paul on this one, Mexico is a great place but can be dangerous away from popular tourist spots. Most hire car companies won't let you take their car over the border in case it doesn't come back. Non-Mexicans in hire cars away from tourist spots stick out a mile. It's quite sweet when the local children appear and try to sell you a cristate Ariocarpus but just as the local children can spot cactus tourists, so can others. I don't even feel safe any more on the US side of the border at places like the Organ Pipe Park in Arizona. Stick to the nicer parts of the Anza Borrego where there's plenty to see.

Stuart
Thank you Stuart, much appreciated!

Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.