Operculicarya decaryi seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
CallMeDave
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Operculicarya decaryi seeds

Post by CallMeDave »

Hello all,

I am looking for seeds which are not readily commercially available. Is there any kind of community exchange for these occasions?
If anyone knows how to get a hold of Operculicarya decaryi seeds in the UK I would be very grateful for the information.
I have tried commercial sources with no luck. UK sellers of these seeds are out of stock with no plans to restock due to Brexit red tape. I was told this by a seller and the others have stopped listing / have no availability for the past year so I assume they are in the same boat.
More expensive import options are available (with a £50 fee for a phytosanitary certificate) but even then there is no guarantee it will make it through customs. Ideally I wouldn't risk the wasted expense.

The longer version of how I lost my most precious plant last year:
viewtopic.php?p=313628&hilit=decaryi#p313628
I still haven't quite accepted the loss due to something as stupid as a boiler losing pressure! Even if I can't bring the plant back, I'd like to start again in memory of my mum who gave me the original when I was a kid.

Thanks,
Cameron
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Re: Operculicarya decaryi seeds

Post by TomInTucson »

Many rare plants have even rarer seed availability. Operculicarya pachypus is harder to obtain than O. decaryi. I bought 3 small seed grown seedlings several years ago, and I'm hoping that in a few years I will be able to produce my own seed. It's more expensive, and time consuming, but it's still a pleasure to grow them despite their small size. I'm sorry I can't offer you a simpler solution.

Finding seedlings (not cuttings) isn't easy either, but it's easier than locating seed.

Good luck in your quest!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

You can do root cuts of these as they have quite knobbly roots, managed one but the top growth is slow.
Cuttings never took,
Tom- how large or old do these have to be to flower I have two reaonable size operculicaria pachypus that have never flowered, maybe they need to be some where warmer/sunnier than the UK
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Tina wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:20 am You can do root cuts of these as they have quite knobbly roots, managed one but the top growth is slow.
Cuttings never took,
Tom- how large or old do these have to be to flower I have two reaonable size operculicaria pachypus that have never flowered, maybe they need to be some where warmer/sunnier than the UK
Mu O. decaryi start blooming when they are around 2' tall. My O. pachypus haven't bloomed yet (about 7" high), but I've seen bonsai trained specimens blooming at about 10" high. They have thick trunks and may be many years old.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Are they growing in warm/sunny climates I can't imagine them flowering here my o.pachypus are a reasonable size, probably ex habitat no flowers yet but my pachycormus discolor does flower so maybe its age I'll keep my finergs crossed, I bet they have tiny little flowers must drag out my book.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Tina wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:22 am Are they growing in warm/sunny climates I can't imagine them flowering here my o.pachypus are a reasonable size, probably ex habitat no flowers yet but my pachycormus discolor does flower so maybe its age I'll keep my finergs crossed, I bet they have tiny little flowers must drag out my book.
Both species flowers are roughly the same size (~3/16" across), but they are easy to distinguish. O. decaryi has plum colored petals, and O. pachypus has yellow-cream colored blooms.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

The Newsletter of the Henry Shaw Cact. Succ. Soc. (based in St. Louis, Missouri) arrived here today, so I thought you guys might like to see a photo included in it of Operculicarya decaryi.

Operculicarya decaryi ex HSCSS.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Ralph Olliges of the HSCCS. So this isn't my plant nor my photo.

Not sure what I think of the look of this plant since I presume it's been trained into this shape, which is far from natural looking.

So, in comparison here's my own plant which is c. 1 m tall with an erect stem c. 4 cm diam. at the base.

tempImagexgBw11.gif

And here's a close up of the leaves.

tempImagewM9BDr.gif

BTW my plant has yet to flower, but it grows quick and fast during spring and summer here in Scotland, where it lives in a cosily warm conservatory all year around. In the winter it sheds most of its leaves. On Tina's advice I give it loads of water, tailing off somewhat in the winter. She also tells me that it's probably impossible to give these plants too much water. :shock:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University