Contrasting Echinopsis flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Contrasting Echinopsis flowers

Post by Phil_SK »

This time last year, I posted pictures of my old Echinopsis mamillosa, flowering for the first time. This year’s flowering has coincided with that of one of Bob’s plants, an E. leucantha. I’d read a fair bit about this species and knew that the flower structure is different to other Echinopsis in a number of ways. As I wanted some better photos of the beautiful E. mamillosa flower I decided to take several of each plant to show these differences.

The buds begin fairly similarly shaped (E. leucantha, first; E. mamillosa, second).
154_5424crop copy.jpg
154_5448crop copy.jpg
As the E. leucantha bud began to open, its unusual shape became apparent – the petals were folding out abruptly from the flower tube and are quite short.
154_5429crop copy.jpg
154_5432crop copy.jpg
154_5436 copy.jpg
After the flowers had fully opened, the very flat E. leucantha flower contrasts noticeably with the funnel-shaped E. mamillosa.
154_5445crop copy.jpg
154_5461crop copy.jpg
Viewed from above, the E. leucantha petals reflex slightly, something I’d not seen in Echinopsis s.s. before.
154_5446crop copy.jpg
This brings the stamens into clear view. And there’s quite a difference in these, too. E. mamillosa, like other Echinopsis s.s. and Trichocereus types, has a circle of filaments joined at the point where the petals join the flower tube, and the others join to the inside of the tube along its length but are mostly fixed to one side. This results in a lop-sided arrangement, with the stamens generally grouped towards the bottom of the flower.
154_5453crop copy.jpg
154_5464crop copy.jpg
154_5465 copy.jpg
In E. leucantha, the stamens are arranged more symmetrically (as in Lobivia) and not just because the flower is held more vertically. There is seemingly no distinction of having two sets of stamens – just a tube densely packed with them on all sides.
154_5442 copy.jpg
154_5443 copy.jpg
Viewed from the perspective of other Echinopsis, E. leucantha is certainly a strange flower and it’s understandable why it’s seen by some as a bit of an oddity.

And I finally got a pic of my E. mamillosa that I was happy with. :)
154_5458crop copy.jpg
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Bill in SC
Registered Guest

Re: Contrasting Echinopsis flowers

Post by Bill in SC »

You know how I am about Echinopsis, Phil! I appreciate the pics!
Bill in SC
Keeping the blues alive!!
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

That is indeed quite interesting, Phil! I am sure when somebody finally investigates the relationships within Echinopsis sensu lato using DNA, then many of the questions we have today will be clarified, and I am sure some of the old groupings will be confirmed, while many previously unsuspected groupings will be revealed! I wonder where Echinopsis leucantha will end up being placed.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Bill in SC
Registered Guest

Post by Bill in SC »

I've never seen a plant with two sets of stigmas. Most interesting!
Bill in SC
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mike »

Many thanks for posting all those pics. Fascinating. I wonder on what grounds E. leucantha was placed in Echinopsis in the first place...?!
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Mike wrote:I wonder on what grounds E. leucantha was placed in Echinopsis in the first place...?!
Well, it's roundish (when young), terrestrial, ribbed and has long white flowers. :)

Bill - not two stigmas, two types of stamen (anther + filament). I've sliced the flowers to show what I mean a bit better. In the mamillosa you can see there's a central bunch of stamens that come from deep in the tube and another set that, whilst they do come from deep down too, they are joined to the sides of the flower tube up until the petals unlike the free central bunch. In leucantha you can see that the filaments are joined to the tube for part of their length but break free at different points up the tube, rather than all together at the rim. Because the free parts are all of roughlt the same length you get the 'forest of anthers' effect.
154_5467 copy.jpg
154_5472 copy.jpg
154_5475 copy.jpg
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ray_in_Norfolk
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ray_in_Norfolk »

Lovely pics, Phil. My favourite genus!

E. klingeriana also has a similar arrangement of stamens although different shaped petals and the flower is held horizontally

[attachment 12921 klingeriana.jpg]
Attachments
4aM2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAIAA4BAgAwAAAAbgAAAA8BAgAQAAAAngAAABABAgAwAAAArgAAADEBAgAHAAAA3gAAADIBAgAUAAAA5gAAABMCAwABAAAAAgDLAJiCAgAQAAAA+gAAAGmHBAABAAAACgEAAAAAAAA8RGlnaW1heCBTNTAwIC8gS2Vub3ggUzUwMCAvIERpZ2ltYXggQ3liZXIgNTMwPgBTYW1
4aM2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAIAA4BAgAwAAAAbgAAAA8BAgAQAAAAngAAABABAgAwAAAArgAAADEBAgAHAAAA3gAAADIBAgAUAAAA5gAAABMCAwABAAAAAgDLAJiCAgAQAAAA+gAAAGmHBAABAAAACgEAAAAAAAA8RGlnaW1heCBTNTAwIC8gS2Vub3ggUzUwMCAvIERpZ2ltYXggQ3liZXIgNTMwPgBTYW1 (81.18 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Ray
Norfolk, UK

Growing cacti for over 50 years currently have mixed collection of about 600
Favourites: Echinopsis group (no hybrids!), Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Rebutia.....
Bill in SC
Registered Guest

Post by Bill in SC »

Nice pics and thanks for the explanation, Phil!
Bill in SC
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Time for an update, I think.

The year after this the two plants flowered at the same time. I crossed them and sowed the seed. My records show it germinated well but I only have one plant and I can't tell whether I killed the rest by accident or if they were culled. I think the hybrid has flowered before but if it has I've not taken much notice of it until yesterday. To reduce the risk of my greenhouse overheating, there are a load of things slung over the roof to block the sun. Above this plant it's something quite solid, so when I went for a look round yesterday morning it was illuminated only by the low sun coming through the sides of the greenhouse, with attractive consequences that caught my eye.
P8120039 copy.jpg
Looking at the plant more closely, it shows characters somewhere between the parents - the body is pale green (mamillosa) with a hint of upswept spines (leucantha). The flower tubes is almost straight (leucantha) and opens to halfway between those of its parents. The filaments are inserted into the tube much as in mamillosa maybe a bit further up at the bottom of the tube.
P8120028 copy.jpg
P8120036 copy.jpg
P8130005 copy.jpg
As Marlon foresaw, a genetic study later indicated that Echinopsis leucantha isn't really an Echinopsis (Schlumpberger & Renner, 2012) and also that Echinopsis mamillosa isn't really an Echinopsis either - the combinations Acanthocalycium leucanthum and Lobivia mamillosa were published by Schlumpberger later the same year. I'm struggling to find a published name along the lines of ×Acanthobivia or ×Lobilcium.

I rather like the flowers; they are unusual enough for me to want to keep this plant.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

I agree .... a lovely looking plant
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.