A special Avonia day

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

A special Avonia day

Post by iann »

Most Avonias I rarely see in flower. Either the flower opens so briefly that I miss it, or I suspect most never open at all. I just find out about it later when seeds show up. Having more than one flower open is special enough. A. grisea.
grisea-0814.jpg
Having more than one of them in flower is even better. Today I just had one flower on A. recurvata, but a few days ago it did this.
recurvata-0807.jpg
Then there are the ones that are much more willing and seem to open every flower long enough for it to be spotted. A. quinarioides doesn't flower every hot day, but it does its best.
quinarioides-0814.jpg
Cheshire, UK
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: A special Avonia day

Post by colser »

Very nice.
If you manage to get any seed pods then would make an interesting addition to the BCSS seed list :wink:
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A special Avonia day

Post by iann »

The A. quinarioides? The others set seed all on their own and everywhere! A quinarioides is like A. quinaria and only seems to set seed if I do the pollination by hand although it does seem to be self-fertile.

I've got seed, though. Not collected this year, but quite a lot of it if you think people would be interested. So far it has seemed like this species is a very niche interest only, although I think it is one of the most tractable Avonias.
Cheshire, UK