Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Acid John
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

Post by Acid John »

And what a good talk it was.
Acid John
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

Thank you Acid John :)

Too many 'aaaaaahhmmm's but I hope I've managed to share some knowledge. Or 'knowledge' :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Great talk AnTTun (tu)
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

ITS TODAY
Topic: Attila Kapitany - Rock and Tree Dwelling Succulents of Australia
Time: Tuesday 1 November 2022 at 7.30pm (GMT)

Meeting ID: 847 5537 9743
Passcode: bcss

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84755379743?p ... gyd01pdz09

Attila Kapitany is a leading expert on Australian succulents. He has written and co-authored 17 books on cacti and succulents including large tomes on Copiapoa and Echeveria. Nearly 40 years ago, with his brother Jeno, he developed and established several nurseries, both wholesale and retail, that are now Australia’s largest centres for succulent research, development and marketing. He has since left the commercial business to continue and expand what he loves doing the best – promoting his passion for plants to others. For several decades, Attila’s professional and private life has been consumed by the appreciation and promotion of these plants to the collector, the gardener and the general public. He has regularly appeared on television, radio and stages around the country and internationally.
In the last 15 years he has become best known for his work with Australian native succulents and other xerophytes including bottle trees and baobabs. Most recently, along with the Australian Government, Attila helped organise a series of postage stamps featuring his favourite plants.

Attila is better known for talking about Australian desert plants from sandy arid regions of the continent and about gardening with succulents, but this is a look at the exciting plants that can be found on the east coast and closer to major cities of Australia. Here you will see and learn about some of the weirdest succulent plants in the world, including caudiciform ‘ant plants’ and succulent orchids. While these rather unique epiphytic and lithophytic succulents in this presentation are not so much garden worthy at all, they make for great novelty and interest factor and are best suited for pots, porches and greenhouses. Attila likes to introduce new audiences to the diversity of Australian succulent flora. Attila’s talk to the BCSS last year was very well received.
attila.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

You always know it was a good talk when you have to buy a new plant, just ordered an 'ANT plant' although my house might be too cold
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Tina wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:25 am You always know it was a good talk when you have to buy a new plant, just ordered an 'ANT plant' although my house might be too cold
As an enthusiast for Massonia and alike bulbs I know have the orchid Pyrorchis nigricans on my wish list...

(If anyone from Australia knows how to get seeds from this species and wishes to exchange seeds with me, let me know!)
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Topic: Scott Harris - Euphorbia Francoisii
Time: Tuesday 15 November 2022 at 7.30pm (GMT)

Meeting ID: 844 9500 4106
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84495004106?p ... tSbXdwUT09

Scott Harris a great passion for growing and breeding cactus and succulents. It all started in his garage with some wood planks laid across a couple of sawhorses and a 4-bulb T5 light overhead. He got some seeds going and was off to the races. Since then Scott has made it his mission to source, sow and grow every seed and plant that appeals to him from around the world. He spends much of his free time attempting to hybridize, breed, and select the best forms in an effort to bring new forms and shapes of plants never before seen. Scott’s focus is on Euphorbia (Mainly the caudex forming types, but he also has a few compact medusoids), Haworthia, Astrophytum, Gymnocalycium, Ariocarpus, Mammillaria and a variety of other cactus as well as caudiciforms.

In this talks Scott will introduce us to his passion for Euphorbia francoisii, which has been a focus of his for the past 6 years. The variety in leaf shape, leaf colour, colour clarity, leaf margin colour and texture, veination, and growth pattern make these very exciting plants to grow. Scott looks forward to sharing details about the origins, growing practices, breeding techniques, and more about these beautiful and relatively fast-growing succulents. We very much look forward to his talk on these fascinating plants
Scott Plants.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Don't forget the talk
Tina

Bucks, UK
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Topic: Graham Charles - Columnar Cacti of Peru

Time: Tuesday 6 December 2022 at 7:30pm (GMT)
Meeting ID: 861 6557 0597
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86165570597?p ... RBMFhoZz09

Graham Charles, the BCSS President, joined the then National Cactus and Succulent Society 60 years ago at the age of 12 and he has enthusiastically pursued the hobby ever since. He is especially interested in the study of South American cacti. During his 10 visits to Peru, matucanas became a particular interest and, with his travelling companions, a number of new species were found and described.

The Peruvian cactus flora includes 21 genera which may be considered as columnar, from the tiny Pygmaeocereus to the huge Armatocereus and Neoraimondia. Although there are many that are rarely cultivated, there are some which make very welcome additions to our collections. Hairy espostoas, golden-spined Haageocereus and dwarf Pygmaeocereus can often be found in glasshouses. Graham will show you spectacular plants in their dramatic habitats amongst mountainous landscapes and wild rivers. Travelling in Peru is certainly an adventure, and you never know what you will find if you venture off the main roads.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

It was a good talk too.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.