Root mealy bugs on lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Re: Root mealy bugs on lithops

Post by Chris L »

I buy my meths in gallon bottles. Probably need more than one application. Use it neat and liberally - AND WEAR GLOVES..... it can be absorbed through the skin.

If it is feasible maybe keep the lithops in the house where it is a bit warmer. If there are any bugs/eggs lurking they would likely be more active than in a cool greenhouse and will be spotted sooner.

Disappointing that the seller hasn't been cooperative. Sadly too many sellers (I mean generally, not C&S) are like that.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Jura
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jura »

It was very unfortunate indeed, I'm not gonna lie it got into a confrontation which I'm not too fond of...my hands were shaking because I've never been met with such aggression when I pointed out a problem with shipement. Seller was hiding behind huge social media presence and all. Which again didn't show any interest in solving an actual issue, I was given steps to use insecticide(I've got better advise here and then from some professional lithops growers). It is what it is and I'll need to find another lithops seller that is more reputable.

I was willing to spend at least 200 euro every 2 months ( I know I'm not particularly well😅) i suppose it's this person's loss...

Anyhow, I trimmed all lithops roots to the stump yesterday, and now they are drying, tomorrow will be methylated spirit day. I still can see some wolly bits on lithops but no active bugs. After a week of methylated spirit I'll water them with my worst chemical which I kept for absolute worst case scenario- Dursban. Fingers crossed by spring time they all gonna be eradicated.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

A very unpleasant incident indeed, I just don't understand why anyone would be so unhelpful. As you say, it is his loss. Good luck with the plants.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Jura wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:34 pm It was very unfortunate indeed, I'm not gonna lie it got into a confrontation which I'm not too fond of...my hands were shaking because I've never been met with such aggression when I pointed out a problem with shipement. Seller was hiding behind huge social media presence and all. [...]
It's certainly the high time to name the seller and request a chargeback through your bank or PayPal as the goods are clearly not fit for purpose. You don't have to talk to the seller at all to do it at this point.
Mat
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Jura wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:34 pm After a week of methylated spirit I'll water them with my worst chemical which I kept for absolute worst case scenario- Dursban. Fingers crossed by spring time they all gonna be eradicated.
I hold a pesticide licence. I’m not sure that using an organophosphate insecticide in a small greenhouse or even indoors is totally wise. I wouldn’t do it, even with a respirator. There are safer options.
I’ve had root mealie in the past and used a product called Gazelle to great effect. It’s a professional use product and using it in a greenhouse on ornamental plants is within the approved uses. I use it as a root drench. It’s much less likely to kill you too.
I’ve not seen root mealies in my collection since starting to use it.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Jura wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:34 pm I was willing to spend at least 200 euro every 2 months ( I know I'm not particularly well😅) i suppose it's this person's loss...
Join the MSG (if you haven't already) and grow them from seed - it will save you a fortune and you can get them to flowering size in a few years.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

HI,
In my first job as a 15 year old, I used industrial meths, this came in a 5 gal drum and was not coloured like the stuff we now get from Wilkos. We used it to make varnish using Shellac and bismark black, etc.
But I used to get so much on my hands that I used to have to wash them with the Meths..... Did it for some years.

You just wouldn't do it now..

Mel.
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.
Jura
BCSS Member

Post by Jura »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:43 pm
Jura wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:34 pm
I hold a pesticide licence. I’m not sure that using an organophosphate insecticide in a small greenhouse or even indoors is totally wise. I wouldn’t do it, even with a respirator. There are safer options.
I’ve had root mealie in the past and used a product called Gazelle to great effect. It’s a professional use product and using it in a greenhouse on ornamental plants is within the approved uses. I use it as a root drench. It’s much less likely to kill you too.
I’ve not seen root mealies in my collection since starting to use it.

Yikes! I might keep it in the shed so! I'll have a look into Gazelle, I wouldn't want to kill or get killed 😅
Jura
BCSS Member

Post by Jura »

edds wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:20 pm
Jura wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:34 pm I was willing to spend at least 200 euro every 2 months ( I know I'm not particularly well😅) i suppose it's this person's loss...
Join the MSG (if you haven't already) and grow them from seed - it will save you a fortune and you can get them to flowering size in a few years.
I'm with msg already and have some of their seedlings under lights , they are coming along nicely. Can't wait for another seedlist 🤭
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Isn't Gazelle just a more concentrated version of Bug Clear Ultra?
Acid John