Lighting and watering advice

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Hawkeyepearce
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Lighting and watering advice

Post by Hawkeyepearce »

Hello all I need some advice on watering and lighting requirements.
I have the following Haworthia Cooperi, Lithops (living stones), Aloe squarossa, Aloe Rauhii, Haworthia Limefolia in a vivarium that has set temperatures and UV light.
My question is that I know these are not meant to be watered in the winter months usually but is this still the case with them in a vivarium?
Thanks in advance
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Lighting and watering advice

Post by AnTTun »

Basically, most of the plants you've listed (if not all of them) are winter growers, considering their origin. It's spring right now in south Africa. But many plants in cultivation have adopted to northern hemisphere across generations. I don't grow lithops so can't say anything about them, but other mentioned plants can be grown whole year round as far as I'm concerned. The key is in watching them. If you get a feeling they tend to go to some kind of dormancy, reduce or withdraw water. If they look happy, pamper them :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Maybe in their orignal habitat they might grow in winter rainfall areas, so getting rain during the winter mostly. But the Haworthia, Lithops and Aloe can be treated as summer growing plants in Europe. That's a good thing, so I would suggest to grow them as such.

I would give them water up until about now, and then they can be dormant until spring. It's okay if they are in the dark during the winter months, assuming they are in a cold / cool place (but frost free). So an unheated room is a good winter hiding place for most plants.

If they are in a more warm and light environment, they might need a splash of water every now and then. But if you give water and warmth, you MUST also give the light. They will grow if they are warm and get water, but will etiolate if there is not light. Otherwise keep them completely dormant by providing them cold and no water.
Hawkeyepearce
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Hawkeyepearce »

Thank you all, they get 11 hrs light and at 26c every day so think I’ll go with give them little if they look like they need it plan.