May 2017 - May Blossom
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: December 2022 - Spirals

Post by edds »

el48tel wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:05 pm A reminder .... a fortnight remaining for the competition. I'd like more spirals ..... please
I have a couple I'm hoping to take but need to be able to remove the fleece on one and water the other when it warms up!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Trachyandra tortilis:
PC050121.jpg
Trying to spiral, but still needs some lessons.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Tony R wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:23 pm G rawlinsonii spiral form.jpg

Gasteria rawlinsonii (Spiral form)
Cracking plant - I have what I believe is the Gert Smitskloof variety, which doesn't seem to spiral at all! I've found G. rawlinsonii much harder to come by than some other gasterias...
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

What we lacked in number of entries was more than compensated by the quality. It was a difficult decision to make. Remember, I was judging the photographic merit, not the horticultural merit of the entries.

Ralphrmartin
Haworthia maughanii
Lovely looking plant. Well conveyed. I’d SLIGHTLY darken or brighten the top dressing to focus attention more on the plant.

bobblackbird
Eulychina Castanea
Well displayed plant. Well differentiated from the background. Good use of darkfield illumination.

rodsmith
Mammillaria hahniana
Captures the subject. . I’d SLIGHTLY darken or brighten the background to focus attention more on the plant.

bobblackbird
Cereus forbesii
The subject is well differentiated from the background, but needs a touch more illumination to allow us to see detail in it. Good use of darkfield illumination.

jenniemay
the spiral is well emphasised. I’d prefer a little darkening of the background since it’s slightly distracting

Tony R
Gasteria rawlinsonii
The subject is well presented. Good use of dark field illumination. Just darken the backdrop slightly.

Aiko
Trachyandra tortilis
I’d like to see more of the plant. My eye wants to see what is missing at the bottom of the picture. I’d decrease the brightness and increase the contrast in the greens, and darken the greys to emphasise the plants and “lift” it from the backdrop.

The winner is Eulychina Castanea by bobblackbird
The runner up is Gasteria rawlinsonii by Tony R
Over to you bobblackbird to choose the January 2023 subject
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
bobblackbird
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by bobblackbird »

thank you el48tel
JessieJim
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by JessieJim »

bobblackbird wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:11 am Eulychina Castanea Spirals
Wow where can I order it?
bobblackbird
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by bobblackbird »

Ebay
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:55 pm Aiko
Trachyandra tortilis
I’d like to see more of the plant. My eye wants to see what is missing at the bottom of the picture.
There is nothing more to see. It is a bulb. The leaves just pop up from the soil.