What's in a name, Life or death apparently

This forum is for discussion about small Opuntias, open to all.
RayW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

What's in a name, Life or death apparently

Post by RayW »

Much has been spoken on the main part of this forum regarding frost damage this year, and the name Cumulopuntia has come up a couple of times, below in photo 1 is one of four Cumulopuntia zehnderi which did not take kindly to -7.4c, whereas in photo two the plant is again C. zehnderi but this time the form known as C zehnderi fma alboareolata. Apart from the white areoles the name implies and the spines are much more curved and the segments slightly larger the two plants were very very similar, and as far as I can find grow in similar places and altitude .
These two plants were next to each other on the same shelf in the same greenhouse for the same length of time.
Working on the assumption it was only air frost, and the compost in the pot did not freeze. I am pruning the 35 affected plants down to the bottom two segments and they seem to be ok , even if they are looking like I have just bought a batch of rooted cuttings.
Tephrocactus do not seem to have been affected in the same way :wink:
Attachments
C. zehnderi
C. zehnderi
C. zehnderi fma. alboareolata
C. zehnderi fma. alboareolata
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: What's in a name, Life or death apparently

Post by Mike P »

This bears out my experience where I lost a couple of Cumulopuntia whilst Maihueniopsis and Tephrocacti came through unscathed. Likewise -7 0c in the greenhouses.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch