Conophytum query

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris123
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: PLYMOUTH

Conophytum query

Post by Chris123 »

Hi,
I have a Conophytum which has lost a part of its label it now reads “ ophytum reiflorum. I have been through the list of species on Wikipedia and can’t find any species which ends with reiflorum. Can anybody come up with a suitable name for this so I can do a new label? I’d be very grateful.

Ps I’ve tried inserting a photo of the plant and have pressed the ‘mountain’ icon above which just creates the img insert below. This website doesn’t seem able to cut and paste photos. Why not?
To help with identification, the Cono is about two centimetres high, in a clump with others and has a slight indentation, like a tooth shape, on the top. Hope this helps until I can add a photo.

Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Conophytum query

Post by Nick_G »

cupreiflorum maybe
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Chris123 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:50 pm Ps I’ve tried inserting a photo of the plant and have pressed the ‘mountain’ icon above which just creates the img insert below. This website doesn’t seem able to cut and paste photos. Why not?
Hi Chris, see this link for advice on posting photos:
viewtopic.php?t=165491
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

Hi,
A really good image editing tool is Faststone Image viewer, it's compleatly free and very customisable? to suit your needs and eyes.
Attached a screen shot.....

Give it a try!!

Mel.
FastStone_2.jpg
FastStone.jpg
FastStone_3.jpg
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.
Chris123
BCSS Member

Post by Chris123 »

Very helpful, thanks. I’ll give it a go.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Chris123 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:50 pm Hi,
I have a Conophytum which has lost a part of its label it now reads “ ophytum reiflorum. I have been through the list of species on Wikipedia and can’t find any species which ends with reiflorum. Can anybody come up with a suitable name for this so I can do a new label? I’d be very grateful.
Conophytum cupreiflorum as Nick_G suggests. It's one of the old orange flowered hybrids. Suspected to be of natural origin perhaps meyeri x velutinum ssp.polyandrum but no one knows for sure.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Chris123
BCSS Member

Post by Chris123 »

Thanks for the advice. Two members think it is cupriefolium. I’ll try to attach a photo for confirmation using the good advice given.
2995BB75-C3B4-4AC6-A831-CFD2187A9C02.jpeg
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Looks right although buried too deep and as I mentioned, an orange flower is needed for confirmation.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.