New import law or gossip?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Zoom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

New import law or gossip?

Post by Zoom »

A nurseryman said to me a couple of days ago that it won't be possible to import cacti into the UK from the EU thanks to a new law coming out! Has anyone heard anything about this?
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: New import law or gossip?

Post by edds »

I've not heard of any new restrictions but, as a hobbyist, it is already pretty much impossible to import plants legally unless you are fully registered with APHAS and pay for inspections.

I wouldn't have thought they'd stop commercial importations as a large amount of our garden centre plants come from the Netherlands.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

There is no way the Europeans would want to loose the garden centre trade in the UK, especially the Dutch as edds says.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Things are meant to be changing from this October. As far as I'm aware the changes are in the physical checks of plants and the type of plants and country of export will be taken into account. That would suggest cacti and succulents from Belgium and Holland would be considered low-risk. However, current checks are based on the 'risk' of imported plants. Whenever I've declared plants and given details of where they can be inspected, they've presumably been considered low risk and haven't been inspected.
There have been problems for a garden centre chain importing nursery-grown cacti through Hull and I've heard that cacti have been refused because of not having CITES import and export papers. As far as CITES goes, all cacti coming from Holland are considered endangered.
What's more important is requiring a phyto certificate with all plant imports which is expensive, between £150 and £250 in Holland, and adds to the cost of UK importers which is then passed on to the UK consumer. I'm not hearing anything about changes to the phyto requirement. All the time we were in the single market, plants moved freely, now we're out, plants haven't suddenly become a health risk though there are a small number of genera outside our hobby that are known to be a risk.

Stuart
Zoom
BCSS Member

Post by Zoom »

Ok, good to know & a relief thanks
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Someone got fed up and mentions a BBC involvement (cacti are mentioned briefly, but the CITES paperwork issue is described quite well here):

https://wackswickedplants.co.uk/sudden- ... ng-plants/
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Yup this is what happens when you let MPs get involved in law making, then you allow Civil Servants (who are trained in designing paperwork and not trained in stuff at operational level) write something about which they are clueless. Then you employ agencies (not government employees) to operate the enforcement. OK you can work with "jobsworth" who are employed within one operation but this is two steps away from the person who wished it through legislation.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I heard from a nurseryman at the BCSS event at Wisley last Saturday that he had been charged £400 for 'plant identification' by DEFRA following his last import order. The more we try to follow new rules the more absurd it gets.

Stuart
Zoom
BCSS Member

Post by Zoom »

Following on from my original post; I now know that some of the major suppliers of plants from Holland to my local garden centre in Essex, will now no longer be supplying cacti,succulents & carnivorous plants because of new checks :cry:
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

You might want to watch the BBC Look North programme.

https://fb.watch/kzuOPB152D/
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.