S. Mirabilis soldiers on...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JonNo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

S. Mirabilis soldiers on...

Post by JonNo »

If I remember correctly this is the fourth year that this little chap has flowered. Given that, as I understand it, they are of the "flower once and die" variety, I can't help but admire the way it soldiers on..! I suspect this may be its last time, it is getting quite "woody" now, but I'll give it every chance.
P1000016.JPG
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: S. Mirabilis soldiers on...

Post by edds »

Looking good Jon. My two year old plants are looking much more aged and some seem to have lost most of their roots over the winter. Strange plants!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Growing these from seed for the first time this year. They’re about 10 times the size of everything else around them currently!
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Definitely a plant with character and peculiar ways. If you put the plant in strong light as it starts to flower, it will close straight away and abort the flower. Tried to video one and it did just that. I have a plan for next time (an expensive plan buy should work).
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
DavidI
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by DavidI »

I am down to the last survivor of 3 that I grew from seed 5 years ago and it's not looking great but I may get one last flowering out of it (and hopefully some seed to start again!)
Dave

BCSS YouTube Channel
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

Hi,
Yes I had one some years ago, sure that only flowered once and later gave up. Had a couple since and tried with seeds, got plants but no flowers, so yours must be a Super-duper one..
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

The good thing is that they are self-fertile and produce plenty of seed, which grows readily, even if they are short-lived.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:17 pm The good thing is that they are self-fertile and produce plenty of seed, which grows readily, even if they are short-lived.
Never got my seed to germinate .... and I have tried ..... many times
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

el48tel wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:13 pm Definitely a plant with character and peculiar ways. If you put the plant in strong light as it starts to flower, it will close straight away and abort the flower. Tried to video one and it did just that. I have a plan for next time (an expensive plan buy should work).
Sounds like an interesting project! Mine always starts to open its bud early evening after the sun has gone down, stays open overnight and through the following morning, then by mid-day is starting to wither and by late afternoon has gone. So they are obviously programmed to respond that way to light, which is going to make your plan a difficult one... Good luck with it!
Smel wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:06 pm Hi,
Yes I had one some years ago, sure that only flowered once and later gave up. Had a couple since and tried with seeds, got plants but no flowers, so yours must be a Super-duper one..
Got to be honest and say I have no idea how or why it keeps coming back, just grateful it does! It is one of my favourite flowers.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:45 pm Never got my seed to germinate .... and I have tried ..... many times
Have you changed things, to see if that makes a difference?
If the seeds are fresh, they should germinate easily. How fresh were your seeds?