Help to ID this please

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Charlongo79
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Help to ID this please

Post by Charlongo79 »

Hi, I bought this as a Haworthia ages ago but the writing on the label has washed away. Just removed a load of babies which are those in the photo. The parent plant grows like mad, produces loads of offsets but not like most haworthia, it almost grows like grass! I wonder if anyone can identify whether it is a Haworthia and if so what the variety is? Many thanks
Attachments
20230630_154419.jpg
20230630_154424.jpg
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Help to ID this please

Post by MatDz »

Potentially Alworthia 'Black Gem': https://worldofsucculents.com/aloe-black-gem/
Mat
Charlongo79
Registered Guest

Post by Charlongo79 »

How do I reply to a particular comment? MatDZ, thanks for the idea but ai don’t think it is as it doesn’t have any spiky bits long the edges at all.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Charlongo79 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:13 pm How do I reply to a particular comment? MatDZ, thanks for the idea but ai don’t think it is as it doesn’t have any spiky bits long the edges at all.
If you reply directly under I wouldn't bother quoting, but there should be a little quotation marks button near the top section of each post.

I don't think 'Black Gem' is particularly spiky, and there are quite surely multiple "garden centre" hybrids, backcrosses and whatnots of it around. Hopefully others will have better suggestions.
Mat
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Charlongo79 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:13 pm How do I reply to a particular comment? MatDZ, thanks for the idea but ai don’t think it is as it doesn’t have any spiky bits long the edges at all.
Another strong vote for Black Gem.
1. It often doesn't have very spiny leaves.
2. Your photos clearly show some leaves with with a few teeth on their edges.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I'd also go for X Alworthia Black Gem. The colour varies enormously depending on exposure to sunlight, and how new the growth is (starts green then colours up); and the description of offsetting freely fits well.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525