Echinopsis 'Flying Saucer'

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Echinopsis 'Flying Saucer'

Post by edds »

I wonder if there is something about the free root run and soil conditions when planted out that make it very different to a pot.

I potted my Flying Saucer and a Poppy into 5 litre pots last year to see if the extra space would get them to flower and neither have this year (the Poppy did last year). Now the question for is, do I leave them to get a bit more root-bound in those pots, pot them up a little bit into 7.5 litre pots or go full hog into 10 litre ones?

I'm going to redo my front garden in another year or two and make a larger, south facing sunny border where I am hoping to emulate a small part of Paul's and will plant this and a couple more out there amongst some Agave and aloes, all being well!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Zoom
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Zoom »

Wow that's amazing, the wild flower/cacti mix is not something you see everyday!
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Paul in Essex wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:01 am On one of the USA-centric forums one theory is that they need adequate root space to flower properly and a decent cool period in winter. What you say, Patrick, seems to go against that. I wondered if it was because it is growing in a completely mineral subtrate - no organics at all, just the rubble - but have no firm idea. it has just made a couple of small offsets at the base so I look forward to a spectacular display in a few years with all the stems flowering!
Yes, I deliberately chose not to follow your planting in rubble route as I thought it might be too much for here in that we don't get much rain and it gets very hot but I have been wondering if it was a mistake and if I should dig them up and start again.

I have taken to planting non succulents here with a jack hammer as the ground is so hard and rocky!

I am particularly concerned about an Aloe dichotoma that looks permanently miserable.

There is also the issue of plants grown in the UK (which the Aloe wasn't) none of which seem able to adapt to the strong sun here, ferocactus, echinocereus etc, they all get damaged. On the other hand a smaller fero bought locally does much better (but hasn't flowered yet).

Not enough cold some years is also definitely an issue for some potted plants too but some years they flower.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I have some friends in the Algarve who have made a large cactus and succulent garden over the past 10 years - lots of trial and error have led to them having a bit more of a handle on what does well and what doesn't. Might be worth getting in touch with them? I can pass you thier contact details if you think it would help.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Thanks Paul, would that be Bob and Rosi? You gave me an email for them just before the pandemic and for obvious reasons I didn't follow it up at the time and had forgotten about it. If so a visit might be helpful.....
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.