New member from Oxfordshire

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

New member from Oxfordshire

Post by DesertPlant »

Hi all,

I'm Egil, based in Oxfordshire. I've been growing succulents since about 2018. Mostly from seed, and mostly Agaves. I don't have many special ones, but slowly added a few. My most special Agave at the moment might be a A. victoriae-reginae White Rhino. I've had that for 2-3 years now, from a small pup, and it's producing two pups itself now.
Apart from the Agaves I've grown some cacti from seed, some Cycads (Dioon and Cycas species - I just love how they unroll their feathery leaves) and baobabs (I've worked in Africa for some time, love those trees, so just tried some seeds), and a bunch of Aloe polyphylla. Tried a few years and usually had 1-3 plants out of 10 seeds, so tried a year with 30 seeds and had about 28 plants :lol:
I grow most of these in a 8'X12' greenhouse, which I keep frostfree in the winter, most A. polyphylla are outside now though.
I like spiky Agaves, and one project I'm excited about at the moment is A. utahensis eborispina. I've wanted to grow these from seed for several years, but all seed I ordered failed to germinate. Last year I was offered seeds by someone who had collected them himself. He sent some A. u. eborispina and A. u. nevadensis and they germinated really well, and are growing well now.

A few weeks ago I was alerted on Instagram about a BCSS event in Wantage. I belief the post might have been from Tina? I went, saw some fabulous plants, and became a BCSS member! There were some really nice variegated agave pups for sale, but those were (still?) a bit outside the range I'm willing to pay. I buy a nice variegated A. parryi though, and a A. parryi huachucensis excelsior.

My largest polyphylla:

A. utahensis eborispina, sown in February, starting to show their elongated spines earlier this month.

What's not to love about something like this? Nice colours, nice spines.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: New member from Oxfordshire

Post by edds »

Welcome. Nice to have another person into Aloes and Agave! That's a great photo of the Kichiokan/Kissho Kan at the end. You've done well to get some pups from your 'White Rhino' in a few year, would love to see a photo of it to see how much it has grown.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Welcome to the forum
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Welcome to the Forum and to the Society!
I'm sure Bill Darbon and colleagues will be pleased to see you if you can make it to some of the Oxford branch meetings.
Your plants look great!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Cracking plants - I don't grow agaves myself but I can see how people are attracted to them!

Welcome to the forum.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
Branch: OXFORD

Post by DesertPlant »

edds wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:42 am Welcome. Nice to have another person into Aloes and Agave! That's a great photo of the Kichiokan/Kissho Kan at the end. You've done well to get some pups from your 'White Rhino' in a few year, would love to see a photo of it to see how much it has grown.
Posted the white rhino, and how it's grown in the past 2 years in the Agave talk & pictures topic.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Egil,
Nice to know another agave collector, Oxford has the best show apart from the National so you are in the right place for the hobby.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.