Are Haworthiopsis self-fertile?

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Are Haworthiopsis self-fertile?

Post by PhilipPV »

A fair proportion of my little collection of Haworthia, Haworthiopsis and Tulista have been flowering generously for a while now, and I've noticed that at least one species of bee seems to like them. Lately I've spotted a very small number of seed pods developing, whereas the vast majority of the flowers just drop off. The pods (so far) are all on Haworthiopsis (H. coarctata, H. limifolia var. ubomboensis and H. × tortuosa 'Kotengu Nishiki'). Assuming they are actually fertile, would the offspring be more likely the result of selfing or of crossing with another species? (I only have a single clone of each of the species in question). In case it makes any difference, in addition to the three genera mentioned, there has been a dwarf Aloe hybrid in flower for the last week or so; Aristaloe aristata has also been in flower but I think it had probably finished before any of the individual flowers in question opened.
Haworthiopsis coarctata 01.jpg
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Are Haworthiopsis self-fertile?

Post by esp »

I've had H. tessellata occasionally self-pollinate, producing seedlings true to type. I've not had other types self-pollinate.
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON

Re: Are Haworthiopsis self-fertile?

Post by PhilipPV »

Ah, that's interesting, thanks.

It might be worth my saving any seed produced if there's a reasonable chance of some hybrids. I'd rather play "guess the father" than have to judge if *probably* true-to-type seedlings actually are the same as their parents.

One odd thing is that I have two very distinct cultivars of Haworthiopsis attenuata but neither of those has produced a fruit on their sprawling, branching, many-flowered stalks.
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.