Thelo ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Thelo ID

Post by ianstrutt »

I’ve bought a few thelos this year as well, including lloydii. I repotted it and took off about ten tiny offsets that I’ve potted separately. Not sure they’ll all survive but I’ll have a go.

My pottsii has flowered four or five times this year- absolutely stunning flowers. One of my favourite plants.
IMG_8857.jpeg
IMG_8935.jpeg

One plant I did buy this year from Southfields is thelocactus hexaedrophorus subs. kvetae. I picked the only plant out of 20 or so that didn’t have big splits to the body. I picked it up yesterday and… it has a massive split. Bit of a shame but I’ll keep it for the flowers.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Tina wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:58 pm Thanks Tony,
I was really pleased when I bought this one as the spines are so tortured looking, I like extremes really long or short & twisted.
No the original plant was perfect and it was quite painful watching the offsets grow as they tore the parent as they fought for space.
look fine now, just needs a repot. Thelocactus are nice plants with beautiful flowers, the one I struggle with is t.heterochromus I think it doesn't like the cold, starting to look nice now but nearly hit the green bin at the start of the year.

Sorry you weren't as mobile but Its quite nice fussing your babies & having a sort out, I enjoy giving them a repot & primp up, I just need to be more organised as there are quite a few still needing a repot but bigger pots mean less plants :sad: .
Please excuse me for going slightly OT, but when you said "I was really pleased when I bought this one as the spines are so tortured looking", I couldm't resist making a recommendation that I've made several times when discussing Thelocactus on other forums, which I call "gnarly", and many collectors have purchased some seed from Mesa Garden. It's called by some (such as myself, but by very few others) Thelocactus bicolor var. schottii. The collection number I advise is SB567, but there are some others. http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... ._schottii
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

Some Thelocacti flowers .......
T. bicolor
T. bicolor
T. heterochromus
T. heterochromus
T. lloydii 'pectinata'
T. lloydii 'pectinata'
Beautiful genus!
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Lovely plants & photo's Andrew.
Thanks Tom I will add to the list
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.