Sad news - John Pilbeam

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Sad news - John Pilbeamh

Post by Stuart »

Very sad news. I’d known John since the mid 1970s and we usually stayed at the same nursery in Holland after ELK each year. His books were easy to read and aimed at the hobbyist, not the ‘book collectors’. Maybe the other two authors of the Adromischus book might consider an expanded edition? John always said what he thought and would have made a good branch chairman. I’ll always remember in one of his earlier books when he described the flowers of Tephrocactus Molinensis as being “The colour of elderly ladies underwear”. He was very generous both with plants and books, any small amount of help with a book would mean an unexpected free copy. It’s like he’s always been around and I’ll miss him . His books are a great legacy.
Stuart
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sad news - John Pilbeam

Post by PhilipPV »

A variation of that crack about the disappointing flower colour of Tephrocactus molinensis was in an article John Pilbeam wrote in the first edition of the BCSS Journal I ever received, back in 1987 - "reminiscent of old-fashioned ladies' underwear" in that instance IIRC - and the imagery, comical and yet so precise, stuck with me immediately and ever since (although I might have struggled to remember exactly which species of opuntioid was referred to). Subsequently Cacti for the Connoisseur was (and remains) one of my favourite succulent books, and for some years was the first place I turned when needing information about a cactus. I never met him, but he was such an enjoyable and informative writer that it does still feel a tangible loss.
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Saw this on Facebook earlier.

DISPOSAL OF PLANTS FROM THE COLLECTION OF JOHN PILBEAM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cactus. ... 409086334/
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

habanerocat wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:18 pm Saw this on Facebook earlier.

DISPOSAL OF PLANTS FROM THE COLLECTION OF JOHN PILBEAM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cactus. ... 409086334/
I can't access this? any idea where it was first posted please?
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

That's strange. This is basically it.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Yes I added it to the Forum first and then to Facebook. Have to get the priorities right.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch