The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on Saturday 23 September 2023 - a few photographs

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TraceyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIDLINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on Saturday 23 September 2023 - a few photographs

Post by TraceyM »

Thank you Terry.
It has been great to have a few new photos each day and is very much appreciated.
I hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful photos you took at our show.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on Saturday 23 September 2023 - a few photographs

Post by el48tel »

The main thread has been restarted
https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=174914
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

one of the best judges in the BCSS.
is Gareth Darbon.
He was also the youngest qualified show judge, nice chap & always so friendly & helpful.

Although we have lost so many Cactophiles recently we probably need more new Judges for next year.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I see no politics in this thread, just a point about judging at cactus shows. Two different assessments of a specimen have been given and they both cannot be correct. I can agree that judges should not make decisions based upon their feelings - decisions must be based upon the evidence on the table in front of them.

The Austrocephalocereus dybowskii specimen in question is clearly multiple seedlings planted in one pot. There is variation in spination and width of the different heads. If it was only one seedling, the one original head would be taller than the rest. It is very broad at the base and planted low in the pot. There is no evidence that stems originate from one single rootstock and it looks unlikely that there is enough vertical room for natural branching to have occurred. Why isn't more branching continuing around the outside of the cluster?

Is this a species that naturally branches very low down? A look at photos on the Internet shows many small single heads in pots and also many groups in pots all about the same size. It is telling that almost none show new branches sprouting. It is a common practice in large nurseries (in the Netherlands for instance) to pot multiple seedlings together to make more saleable products. It is difficult to find photos of plants in habitat, but the few do seem to indicate branching at all heights naturally.

So if I had been judging, I too would have marked this as NAS since it breaks the "not more than one plant in a pot" rule. It is a lovely clean plant and would be a joy to see elsewhere in a display, but it is not fair to other entries for it to be in a competitive class. Perhaps the owner knows better and has grown it for many years and seen the number branches increasing, in which case I would like to know so I can correct this assessment?

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Long time BCSS judge.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Apologies - Classes 35 and 36 will be posted much later today
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

The last few photos have been posted on https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 57#p338557