The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politics

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politi

Post by Stuart »

Dudleyas are eligible in a Crassulaceae class at a show but it's a large group so is usually split to include an Echeveria subgroup in which Dudleyas are eligible. Assuming there wasn't a Crasulaceae Group class, which would have been unlikely, the Dudleya would have been entered in the Echeveria subgroup class. There would probably have been a Crassula subgroup which does not include Dudleyas. On the subject of Dudleyas, newcomers on the Judges Course are often told to ignore old leaves on Dudleyas as they can't be removed. Don't believe it, they just need a bit more effort to clean up than Echeverias but it can be done.

Stuart
Stuart
BCSS Member

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politi

Post by Stuart »

I just had a look at the Schedule, the Dudleya couldn't have come first in Class 31 which was Crassula subgroup, it could have come first in Class 32 which was Echeveria subgroup.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:10 pm
Phil_SK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:35 pm
MatDz wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:33 pm I hope Dudleya didn't win class 31 :shock: (Unless it counts as both Crassula and Echeveria :mrgreen: )
It's the same plant as Class 32, 2nd just from the other side, so almost certainly not in the wrong class.
I might be missing something obvious here, but seems to me that this Dudleya was awarded in two classes:
Class 31 Crassulacea - Crassula
Class 32 Crassulacea - Echeveria

Isn't the winning Crassula hiding at the very bottom of that photograph?
Thanks for sharing your concern. I don't think we made a mistake photographing a plant in the wrong category. I did have an assistant working with me to ensure that type of error was not made. I can assure you that great care was taken.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Do you not think it's the same plant, just from the other side?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:02 pm Do you not think it's the same plant, just from the other side?
Judging by the surrounding plants I’d say that you are correct!
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

I should add, that a single "misplaced" Crassula doesn't make all the photographic effort any less appreciated.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:42 pm I should add, that a single "misplaced" Crassula doesn't make all the photographic effort any less appreciated.
Thank you. That is appreciated. The amount of effort ... not just by me and my assistant .... but all of the team, was substantial.
I think it has to be communicated to all, that plants and labels cannot be moved, not even by judges. All photographs have to be taken, skillfully and carefully, to honour this rule, and do require, often, some dexterity to place the image correctly and not the plant, and to isolate it from its neighbours.
I'm not intending commenting further on this. I'm hoping that this thread will be for viewing the entries .... solely.
There will be a further batch of pictures posted tomorrow morning. But not the next numerical ones. I do have a date in mind for the final post.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

I don't think there's anything to stop the judge moving a plant though unless they were against a wall and needed turning to see the back of the plant, I'm not sure why they'd need moving.

Stuart
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

The Dudleya was 2nd in class 32 after the Pachyphytum oviferum; the 1st in class 31 was the Crassula tecta which is just visible at the bottom edge of the class 31 Dudleya photo. So the plant was in the correct class, just a glitch with the photo.

I'll second Mat's comment:
MatDz wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:42 pmI should add, that a single "misplaced" Crassula doesn't make all the photographic effort any less appreciated.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MikeT wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:27 am The Dudleya was 2nd in class 32 after the Pachyphytum oviferum; the 1st in class 31 was the Crassula tecta which is just visible at the bottom edge of the class 31 Dudleya photo. So the plant was in the correct class, just a glitch with the photo.

I'll second Mat's comment:
MatDz wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:42 pmI should add, that a single "misplaced" Crassula doesn't make all the photographic effort any less appreciated.
Thanks for the comment MikeT, that does add weight to my note about the difficulty which people face when plants and labels are packed together. That is no criticism on my part of the hard work done by the team on the day. It's called "fact of life". As adults we have to "get on with it" and not to whinge.