Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr 23/9/2023 - the photographs

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Benjy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr 23/9/2023 - the photographs

Post by Benjy »

Stuart wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:29 am The Copiapoa Solaris was a well-deserved winner, Colin Norton used to have a row of six of them, all in nice clusters and probably imports, but it's rare to see a plant nowadays with more than a single head.
Agreed, the solaris is superb.
There are also many huge specimens shown online from Australia, from 1996 R.Schulz seed.
I don't consider C.solaris that rare though, I have around 250 myself all grown from habitat seed.
(although not as large as the show plant) :)
But, I do like to create many 'multiple offsetting' plants in any Copiapoa species much earlier,
I do it by chopping heads off 3cm Copiapoa seedlings, creating much faster growing clumps in much less growing time.

C.solaris at 10cm.
Copiapoa solaris.jpg
Tina
BCSS Member

Re: Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr 23/9/2023 - the photographs

Post by Tina »

Super Benjy, I took the advice & have a very small 3 headed plant now.
Most of us don't have seedlings to experiment with
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I think one would have to agree that there were many other plants in the Show, equally worthy of distinction, many plants of great age.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

el48tel wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:52 pm I think one would have to agree that there were many other plants in the Show, equally worthy of distinction, many plants of great age.
I personally prefer seeing plants without any competition involved, just for the enjoyment of the hobby.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Benjy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:05 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:52 pm I think one would have to agree that there were many other plants in the Show, equally worthy of distinction, many plants of great age.
I personally prefer seeing plants without any competition involved, just for the enjoyment of the hobby.
However there are people who prefer to compete. Without the competition there would be no opportunity to see so many different plants assembled at one time. My love is that of photographing plants, often a challenge in itself.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi All,
Have a newbie to the collection, arrived in a mixed tray with no label.
I think its copiapoa solaris- bigger aeriloes that are a bit dusty, a friend thinks its echino lindsayii.
Whats the consensus ?

OOPS - sorry I searched cop solaris & didn't notice the title of the thread, :roll:
20240410_100815.jpg
20240410_100822.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Tina, I don’t think it’s E. lindsayii, which usually has blackish spines, can’t comment on whether it’s a Copiapoa though.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Diane,
Even echino lindsayii are variable but so are copiapoa, a poor shot of a few of mine on a top shelf ( why rough photo).
I'm really pleased with it, just not sure where it needs to go after its repot.
20240410_100934.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK
Simon S
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Simon S »

Definitely C. solaris imo, Tina (lovely spines) the E. lindsayi - or lindsayorum as I think our labels should be, are equally beautiful. Gorgeous plants.