Aloe dichotoma problems

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Aloe dichotoma problems

Post by Patrick »

I bit the bullet and dug this Aloe dichotoma (or whatever it's called now) out of my garden, where it has been for 3 years but never looking very happy and not growing much. It is a winter grower so it gets no water at all from June until the first Autumn rains. I think I made the mistake of not preparing the planting hole well enough, so thought I'd dig it up, decompact the soil and make a sandy, gritty mix. I've now got a hole 50cm deep and wide.

What I found when I dug it up is the photos, one side quite rotten, lots of broken roots and stupidly I broke more in getting it out. There are now only a few roots on one side. It is 95cm from top to toe.

My thinking now is let the breaks dry for a few days and then replant it, so it can get re-established before the hot summer. Is that a good course of action or should I keep it out of the ground until it grows more roots or something else? Any advice gratefully received.
IMG_2558.jpeg
IMG_2557.jpeg
IMG_2555.jpeg
IMG_2554.jpeg
IMG_2553.jpeg
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Aloe dichotoma problems

Post by Phil_SK »

I would pick out every last crumb of peat (is it?) and all the dead material. Or blast it with a hose.
I don't feel I can advise on what to do next due to lack of experience of your conditions but, in ignorance, I would want to reestablish a few roots in a pot before replanting - in the UK I'd be thinking of moler or grit/moler.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

These are a devil to root but you have a bit of a chance.

Clean it up as Phil says but for what it’s worth I think I would put it back in the new hole you have prepared and give it a gentle watering from time to time.

And pray to the God of Aloes.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Many thanks both. I guess that was another mistake, that I didn't completely clean off the 'soil' it came in as I would have done if it was going in a pot. I didn't want to disturb the root ball but there may have been dead/broken roots there already. Fingers crossed and praying on my knees.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.