Cactus Shop

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SimonT
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cactus Shop

Post by SimonT »

It is a shame- hopefully Cactus Shop can continue in some form or other.
I noticed the statement on the Cactus Shop front page "We regret that due to the failure of Brexit we can no longer ship overseas orders".
Says it all.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I travelled to Cornwall in 1999 and took the opportunity to visit what was then Westfield Cacti when Ralph was based in Kennford. He was about to move out of the area and the business was closing - it was a mess, more-or-less abandoned. I remember feeling quite sad.
It's pretty amazing that he managed to build up the business again from scratch years later and I'm pleased for him that there's something to generate some cash for his retirement. I hope for us all that it sell as a going concern.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Agricultural land is around 10K per acre so the other 280K must be for the greenhouse, caravans and the goodwill cost. I think if I was starting out as a nursery it might be better to buy a couple of acres and pay for new greenhouses. Bill Greenaway had a really good selection of cacti when he had a nursery in the West Country using a polytunnel and had much better spination by avoiding glass cutting out the UV light. It might be better to stick to cold-hardy plants, there's plenty in our hobby, the Edgingtons managed it in a much colder part of the country, and use polytunnels which are much cheaper. Re Brexit, without going into commercially sensitive info, although it's added to my nursery costs, I've taken advantage of it and have no complaints but don't want to bring politics into the Forum. I was in New Mexico when they had the vote but just had to work out how to make it work for me. I've had some really nice plants from Ralph over the years and the hobby can't afford to lose a nursery so I'd hope there'll be a buyer to keep it as a viable cactus nursery. I'd expect the price is negotiable.

Stuart
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Roy Mottrams place is still on the market for £550,000 reduced from £600,000. 1.6 acres. There's a agricultural caveat attached to it placed by the local authority many years ago. Roy spent years trying to get it removed. I guess the caveat will make it harder to sell. The price is for the house and land and not a commercial business. Only one greenhouse remains not shown in the photographs.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY
BTW I wonder how many UK cacti/succulent nurseries have gone out of business in the last 40 years and how many have started up?
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

A cactus nursery I regularly visit has been on the market for many years, last time I looked it was valued around $8 million, the owners deserve to be able to retire and have a property in Hawaii waiting. It makes Ralph's nursery seem quite good value. It now looks like it's been split into two and the part that quite a few of us know is only $4 million, that does include a house and some polytunnels though.

Stuart
TrichoB
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by TrichoB »

Can’t believe he is wanting to sell up, end of an era. Price is a bit steep, doubt it’ll fetch that but good luck to him.
San Pedro Cactus UK https://www.cactocereus.co.uk