It's going to get cold.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: It's going to get cold.

Post by Paul in Essex »

TomInTucson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:56 pm The theory behind its efficacy is; since the ground is almost always warmer than the air on cold nights, the warmer temperature can be trapped underneath the cloth. The reason behind the use of stakes is to keep the vegetation away from the cold air.
As I understand it, exactly this. On a small scale this is the same principle as sheltering a tender plant by planting it underneath an evergreen canopy or, on a bigger scale, cloud cover rolling in on a cold night preventing what would otherwise be a nasty frost. If there is a heat source (other than the ground) so much the better but the principle remains the same - to capture heat that would otherwise radiate away into the atmosphere. In the open garden a cover like this can also mitigate the physical effects of frost/snow coming into contact with the plant but that is a different situation.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

If the heat comes from the ground then bubble-wrap on benches and this type of carry-on can't be of much use surely?
FpXGY1oXsAEb2-z.jpg
FpXGY1oXsAEb2-z.jpg (78.94 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

There's no 'if' - heat is lost by the ground. Any type of barrier can mitigate this to one extent or another - bubblewrap, newspaper, foil blankets. Even a layer of small children, although I see those more as a heat source.

And 'this type of carry on' is something else entirely - protecting the growth point from the direct action of frost or snow making contact.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Yellowknife in North Western Territories Canada is -41c today warming up to -37c.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Its cold at night here, but warms up nicely by the time the sun goes down. The temperature in the unheated bit of the greenhouse was down to 1C last night and up to 15C at the warmest today.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

unheated bit of the greenhouse was down to 1C last night and up to 15C at the warmest today.

That's a really good variation for the plants
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

ralphrmartin wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:46 pm Its cold at night here, but warms up nicely by the time the sun goes down. The temperature in the unheated bit of the greenhouse was down to 1C last night and up to 15C at the warmest today.
That's a bit like the temperature outside here in Portugal at the moment, although the lowest so far this winter has been 2.5 and it often gets up closer to 20c.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Up here it is a bit colder. Two nights ago it was around -7C, and last night my plants that I kept in my unheated greenhouse (about half of the cacti) had to endure -9C. Coming week it will be around 0C.
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

Much of the UK is predicted to have another period of cold weather (potentially with some snow) next week -7 to -10oC to look forward to in some places.

So following on from habanerocat's question, if you had a plant in a greenhouse, is it safer from cold on the staging or partially sunk into the ground?
Assuming the ground remains dry of course and the greenhouse is unheated and everything else is equal between the two locations.

I've tried both approaches in the past and for me staging wins- but I think this might have been just because of the increased risk of plants gettting wet if sunk into the ground.