Website broken links

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Admin
BCSS Forum Administrator
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Website broken links

Post by Admin »

Bald, unmasked email addresses on a major website which gets 10000 visits per month is asking for trouble. 50% of our emails are already spam, some of them mailcious.
I repeat, if you insist on having a web browser as your Windows default email client (like telling your computer to use Excel to open all Word documents) then email links will not work. Email links open email clients, not web browsers. Different protocol.
Email addresses are also printed in CactusWorld, and the main one (the Secretary) is written at the bottom of every web page.

I am not going to remove the email masking for all the individual email addresses to appease people who want to use a web browser instead of an email client.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

I just want to report that all works fine on my laptop with Win 10 Pro (Build 19045, probably the most recent) and Firefox 121.0.1 (updated today). My "default app" for Email is blank and Firefox is my default Browser. Clicking on all the obfuscated mailto links simply open a new email form with Gmail with the addressee populated correctly. This is the address of the form: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?fs=1& ... catedItToo
Mat
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Matz if I click on your last link I do not have access but if I open it in another tab as if by magic there it is. In DaveW post on the Cacti without soil thread the first and last of the four links cannot be opened unless I do it in another tab.
I don't seem to be capable of copying the links here.
Acid John
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

Acid John wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 am Matz if I click on your last link I do not have access but if I open it in another tab as if by magic there it is. In DaveW post on the Cacti without soil thread the first and last of the four links cannot be opened unless I do it in another tab.
I don't seem to be capable of copying the links here.
One thing I learned in all my computer and internet years is that those two are misbehaving in the strangest ways with no rhyme or reason. The second was that opening things in new tabs quite often helps :mrgreen:
Mat