Sempervivum Virgil.jpg (216.71 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
Mammillaria dixanthocentron:
Mammillaria dixanthocentron.jpg

Haworthiopsis limifolia var. ubomboensis:
Haworthiopsis limifolia ubomboensis.jpg
Haworthiopsis limifolia ubomboensis.jpg (156.33 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January: Graphic

Post by el48tel »

2023-04-13 16-43-42 (C,S4).jpg
Trichodiadema densum
2023-04-30 17-57-29 (C,S4)-Edit.jpg
Aloe
2023-12-21 16-14-23 (B,R8,S4).jpg
Mammillaria
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON

Post by PhilipPV »

That mammillaria spine looks absolutely terrifying! Not least because the texture gives it something of an animal quality.
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I finally got round to sorting out some geometrical shots. In no particular order:
Rebutia.JPG
Opuntia.JPG
Mamm vaupelii.JPG
Mamm vaupelii.JPG (123.2 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Mamm hahniana_.JPG
imbricata.JPG
filifera.JPG
Agave_filifera.JPG
Fero_ham.JPG
Echinocactus grusonii Jun03.JPG
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

PhilipPV wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:02 pm That mammillaria spine looks absolutely terrifying! Not least because the texture gives it something of an animal quality.
Absolutely!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Hairy and stripy stems of Peperomia, I keep staring at it since I got it!

20240122_214503.jpg
Mat
WoBo
Registered Guest

Post by WoBo »

On the one hand (and first of all), I'm really delighted with the high number of entries - that hasn't always been the case in recent months!

On the other hand, this means real work for me: There are so many great photos that I can't quite make up my mind yet ... After sorting out a few shots (e.g. due to a somewhat disturbing background or technical criteria such as blurring or slight overexposure), I currently have a shortlist of 8 pictures from 6 different photographers! I will try to select the winning image by tonight.

What I can already award are
- the 'Special Prize for the best picture series' to MikeT, and
- the 'Special Prize for the most creative interpretation of the topic' to Aiko (including the perfectly placed dog)! :wink:

¡Hasta luego!
Wolfgang
WoBo
Registered Guest

Post by WoBo »

Some people say that I have difficulty making decisions. However, I don't know ... :roll:

Well, I'll sort it out backwards:
8. There's juster's Ferocactus pilosus; maybe it's the slightly unsteady border at the top right that keeps it off the winner's podium.
7. With Mike T's Mammillaria hahniana, it may be because the perfect flower crown is slightly cropped at the bottom.
5. + 6. What could seriously speak against the technically brilliant pictures (the light! the focus!) of the Mammillaria hook and the Gasteria 'Little Warty' presented by el48tel? Probably just that I prefer a format-filling motif in this case ...

The following four images have all temporarily landed at number 1 on my list during the course of today. So maybe the result could be a different one if you ask me later again. Respect to all your contributions!
4. The grazing light on Mike T's Opuntia shoot emphasizes the structure wonderfully - in some way it's reminding me of some Günther Uecker's works, only with smaller nails :wink:
3. Once again it is Mike T, whose photo of Agave filifera I award the bronze medal. Here it is the beautiful diffuse lighting that appeals to me: no hard shadows that would spoil this motif, but enough light to make the plant glow.
2. Unfortunately only 2nd place after photo finish (I'll be banished to pun hell for this one :lol: ) goes to Philip P-V with his Haworthiopsis limifolia var. ubomboensis. A very harmonious color spectrum, ideal illumination and - as with many other entries - a square format that emphasizes the symmetry!

1. And the winner this month is ... Tony Roberts! Eventually I decided on his portrait of Gasteria batesiana Barberton Form. The perspective accentuates the structure and color of the plant, and also adds a little dynamics, not too much, not too little - perfect!

So, congratulations to Tony!

I'm looking forward to the February challenge
Wolfgang
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Thank you Wolfgang!
There was indeed a fine, varied and diverse selection of photos in January.
I have only just seen the result, having had a short stay in hospital during the last week.
I will put my thinking cap on for the February subject very soon!
Regards,
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)