BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: February 2024: Adromischus

Post by el48tel »

2024-02-29 16-52-00 (A,R8,S4).jpg
Adromischus cooperii
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

I'll add a "semi-close-up" of my Adromischus marianiae 'tanqua' that's doing surprisingly well on my shelf! It's hard to take a decent photograph as the lights are a little too white, a little too bright and a little too close to the plants, but at least they seem to enjoying this.

20240229_203100.jpg
Mat
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Thank you to all who participated - a small number of entries - but plenty of interest. I still feel Adromischus has become a very popular genus, but perhaps not many people take photos of them compared with flowering cacti!

These are the 4 photographs I chose for closer inspection:

compet Feb24.jpg

Mat's photo would have benefited from removing the label and a better background and lighting, so I discounted that first, leaving three well-presented photos. It was a close run but in the end, after also looking at each at 'full resolution', I chose Terry's photo of A. cooperi.
I particularly enjoyed the textures of the leaves, for example:

leaf.jpg

Well done, Terry!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Tony R wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:13 am [...] Mat's photo would have benefited from removing the label and a better background and lighting, so I discounted that first [...]
Thank you for the shortlisting, and a very deserved rejection of my entry. I need to invest one day in a proper photography setup with nice greyish background and some soft, diffused light.

Well done to all other participants and congratulations Terry!
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Thanks TonyR and MatDz
I have few Adromischus but I'm finding them of interest because of that beautiful texture which does lead itself to being captured photographically. Getting the lighting "just right" is the key to capturing that texture.
I'll find my thinking cap ... and I'll be back presently with the title for March 2024.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.