The first day of meteorological spring approaches

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

The first day of meteorological spring approaches

Post by el48tel »

My question is simple.
It may be spring. It may be warmer than usual, but when are you going to wake your plants from their winter sleep?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: The first day of meteorological spring approaches

Post by Darren S »

I am thinking carefully about watering the early starters like Austrocactus and Pterocactus but I would be happier with a week of brighter weather to raise daytime temps under glass. We have only had odd days of sun in feb. Oddly mostly at weekends for a change.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

When the clocks change at the earliest.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

From a south-coast point of view, any time in March when there's a forecast of a few mild sunny days. Met Office forecast is usually more reliable than the BBC.

Stuart
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Aloes are on their second water.

I did water Pterocactus araucanus today but it’s in a big clay pot and will dry out pretty quickly. Perhaps it will flower one day.....
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Herts Mike wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:21 pm Aloes are on their second water.

I did water Pterocactus araucanus today but it’s in a big clay pot and will dry out pretty quickly. Perhaps it will flower one day.....
Same here. Once new growth appeared on Pterocactus tuberosus, and a few other Opuntiads.. Echinocereus are also resuming growth, but I've learned that watering them too early can cause the flower buds to stop growing.
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

Pterocactus have had their first drizzle but everything else can wait a week or two unless we get a few days sunshine then I will spray lightly.
Where I am is mild compared to where you are Terry.
But you must have some winter growers? ( unlike me )
Agree Met office seems better than BBC :wink:
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Agreed Ray about temperature variations across the country, but the wild variations over the past few days with maxima being much higher than usual, coupled with humidity being somewhat high, worries me that we could get growth then damage to new tissue.
Yes my winter growers have been given some water.
Could be polar bears and penguins tomorrow since snow or sleet expected
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

I’ve watered my pterocactus. Not that I was expecting too much, but no sign of any effect at the moment.

I wasn’t planning on watering anything else for a while yet. I think it was end of April last year.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.