Wi-Fi Thermometer

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Wi-Fi Thermometer

Post by edds »

Paul in Essex wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:33 pm Where does the hub live?
Currently in my kitchen! That's the nearest room to the back garden but with good WiFi. Conservatory and outdoor sensor about 3 to 4m away; greenhouse about 30m down the garden. The hub doesn't have sensors so it is giving my home temperature as the warmest of the three linked sensors. My house is cold, but not that cold! :lol:
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

30m to the greenhouse is good. Clear or obstructed?
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Paul in Essex wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:14 pm 30m to the greenhouse is good. Clear or obstructed?
Pretty clear. There's a very overgrown hazel near the greenhouse but you can see it from the kitchen window. At the weekend I will test the outdoor sensor to see how far away it will work from (my garden's about 60m long).
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Took some finding on the product website but they reckon the clear range from sensor to hub is up to 120m. I've assumed that will be about half in the real world but should still reach my new greenhouse site, hopefully!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
Branch: OXFORD

Post by DesertPlant »

I previously used some wifi enabled ones (there: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B ... UTF8&psc=1), but have switched to the same switchbot one.
So far for me:
-More reliable connection
-No issues with humidity yet (the wifi ones suffered, and one died)
-Longer lasting batteries (at least in the cold, have to see how they perform when it gets hot)
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

DesertPlant wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 pm I previously used some wifi enabled ones (there: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B ... UTF8&psc=1), but have switched to the same switchbot one.
So far for me:
-Longer lasting batteries (at least in the cold, have to see how they perform when it gets hot)
Good to know it may be reliable, thanks.

How far away from the hub is your furthest sensor?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

edds wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:12 pm
Paul in Essex wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:14 pm 30m to the greenhouse is good. Clear or obstructed?
Pretty clear. There's a very overgrown hazel near the greenhouse but you can see it from the kitchen window. At the weekend I will test the outdoor sensor to see how far away it will work from (my garden's about 60m long).
Tested it today and even at the bottom of my garden, just over 60m from the sensor in a straight line of site, it hasn't lost connection. Whether that will be the case as batteries fade and in all weather conditions I don't know yet.

I left the sensor for 2 hours on my shed (where my new greenhouse will be sited) and the connection was perfect (and the temperature was about 2.5 degrees higher than where the sensor had been sitting at the top of the garden where it is higher and a little more exposed!).
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I am tempted, I must say. Trouble is I have only recently bought some thermometers for various places - they do connect via bluetooth to an app. But with this I need to remember to upload the data which, of course, I don't, so there are gaps. :lol:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
Branch: OXFORD

Post by DesertPlant »

edds wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am
DesertPlant wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 pm I previously used some wifi enabled ones (there: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B ... UTF8&psc=1), but have switched to the same switchbot one.
So far for me:
Good to know it may be reliable, thanks.

How far away from the hub is your furthest sensor?
The hub picks up sensors which are in a box in the garage (box with plants, box is isolated with styrofoam), about 5m away, and also a sensor in a box in a greenhouse about 8m away. So not terribly far away, but the wifi one struggled with both, rarely got a signal from a sensor in the box in the garage.