Pachycormus discolor - cuttings?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Pachycormus discolor - cuttings?

Post by MikeT »

I have a Pachycormus discolor from seed. Considering how old it is, my cultivation regime and the small bonsai tray it's in seem to have bonsai-ed it. however last year it grew quite a long stem out to one side. I must have put feed in the water somehow. The plant looks an odd shape with this branch sticking out. If I trim this stem back, can I use it as a cutting? Anyone had success with cuttings taking? If so, any hints? Should I try when it's in leaf or out of leaf?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Pachycormus discolor - cuttings?

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike,
I've not had any luck with these rooting.

If you are going to trim wait until the stem is in fresh growth, I've had luck with bursera fagaroides rooting so its always worth trying.
Good luck
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Tina wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 pm Hi Mike,
I've not had any luck with these rooting.

If you are going to trim wait until the stem is in fresh growth, I've had luck with bursera fagaroides rooting so its always worth trying.
Good luck
I've had the same experience with my attempts at rooting smaller cuttings of mine. After my failures, I searched to find out what results were obtained by others who tried. It seems there have been no success stories. I'd like to know if it's ever been achieved. Other trees like the somewhat related species of Operculicarya are fairly easy to root (including from their roots).
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Maybe grafting is a thing to try?
But that will probably not take either.