Aloe, aloe, I'm a pineapple cactus!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lindsey
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Aloe, aloe, I'm a pineapple cactus!

Post by Lindsey »

Will Tree Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be Careful of the sun,as it looks a bit lush to me
> if you keep it in a shadey spot and gradually into
> the sun

Ah yes, thanks, I'll try the "gradually" treatment.

. Did the lady who gave it to you grow it
> in the house?

She was given it but didn't want it!!

BTW... there was a suggestion that it might be an Aloe mitriformis hybrid. What could it have been hybridised with? (Question about what to write on its label)
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Hi Lindsey,

love your aloe! I was wondering something, you know how people say that aloes (?) are medicinal? Well, is that just the ALOE BARBADENSIS that is useful or can the other aloes be used for stuff as well?

I'm asking because I originally bought what I thought was Aloe Vera and turns out that the more recent one I bought (ALOE BARBADENSIS) looks a bit different in that the leaves are a bit fatter and longer and has only a few leaves. Whereas the other I have has many leaves and thinner shorter leaves. It has pupped a few times now and I'm not sure what to do with them. Anyway, sorry to be answering your question with a question but just had to ask.:)-D

Monica.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Aloe... not just a pretty face

Post by Lindsey »

Hi Monica

I was wondering the same thing! I use "Aloe vera" (which I think is botanically A.barbadensis, but I'm sure someone on this Forum can give us an answer) for first aid for kitchen burns (hot oven shelf): it seems to work at least as well as running water. I've read somewhere that some other Aloes (not sure which) can be used as substitutes for Aloe vera, but they need to be kept well watered so that there is plenty of moisture in the leaves.

Hope this helps.
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

They are both one in the same!:bigcrowd:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse